Changing Garmin 200 for Upgrade..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boon 51

Veteran
Hi folks..
I'm just about to sell my Garmin 200 to my mate and I'm getting a 500 or 510 so I have a couple of questions for you..

Is it easy to load my 200 on to my mates computer so he can use it?
Will it be easy to load my 500/510 onto my computer with all my 200 stuff on it..
A few easy steps would be helpfull please..

Cheers.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Think very carefully about the 500 if you are planning on using it for routes and courses. There is a well known problem with them. It's a luck of the draw whether you get one that works properly or not.

You can just transfer all your course files and history on to your computer then transfer into your new machine.

Yes your mate can load it onto his own computer. Your 200 would have originally come with a disc with all the instruction set up.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Mine, bought 2 months ago, did not come with a disk, the instructions are on the Garmin site.
Mind, the basic instruction books (about a dozen, one each for a dozen languages :wacko:) are quite straightforward.

Nick Stone

I've just gone from a 200 to a 510. Love it.

I've linked with my phone and all the items from my 200 downloaded, with it linked you can wirelessly upload routes you've already got completed to it in seconds to go and ride. Registered it to my garmin account didn't seem to be any problem with having both there.

Think you just need to delete your old one so your friend can register it to himself if he signs up to Garmin Connect. Nice bit of kit, not to fussed on the maps of the 810, but love the cadence and heart rate features and live track is cool, my wife thinks it's really good and she thinks I'm a geek so..... Go for it

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Think very carefully about the 500 if you are planning on using it for routes and courses. There is a well known problem with them. It's a luck of the draw whether you get one that works properly or not.

You can just transfer all your course files and history on to your computer then transfer into your new machine.

Yes your mate can load it onto his own computer. Your 200 would have originally come with a disc with all the instruction set up.

I would like an 800 for doing routes etc but SHMBO is frowning at the price? :sad:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
I've just gone from a 200 to a 510. Love it.

I've linked with my phone and all the items from my 200 downloaded, with it linked you can wirelessly upload routes you've already got completed to it in seconds to go and ride. Registered it to my garmin account didn't seem to be any problem with having both there.

Think you just need to delete your old one so your friend can register it to himself if he signs up to Garmin Connect. Nice bit of kit, not to fussed on the maps of the 810, but love the cadence and heart rate features and live track is cool, my wife thinks it's really good and she thinks I'm a geek so..... Go for it

I'm not fussed about mapping where I want to go, as I dont know where I want to go when I start out.. I'm a see when I get there sort of rider.. but I do set a target on the mileage I want to do.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Think very carefully about the 500 if you are planning on using it for routes and causes. There is a well known problem with them. It's a luck of the draw whether you get one that works properly or not.

I'm not bothered about planning trips :thumbsup:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
so why change from the 200?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Does the 500 display the clock on the data page that might be a reason :rolleyes:

FWIW I've a 200 and 800 and unless one was given to me (a 500) I wouldnt upgrade the 200.

I have both the 200 and the 500.
I got the 500 first, mainly for the routes and courses function. Didn't work so got the 200 which works perfectly.
I now use the 500 just to record rides.

I have both the 200 and the 500.
I got the 500 first, mainly for the routes and courses function. Didn't work so got the 200 which works perfectly.
I now use the 500 just to record rides.
I can't see much practical reason to upgrade from the 200 to the 500, other than the latter might have a clock on the data page? I don't really think (having had a 305) that the cadence and hr was anything other than a nice to know post ride.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I can't see much practical reason to upgrade from the 200 to the 500, other than the latter might have a clock on the data page? I don't really think (having had a 305) that the cadence and hr was anything other than a nice to know post ride.

Indeed. I'm not bothered about HR or Cadence either.
but it is nice to have the clock on the front :thumbsup:

Does the 500 allow you to record the distance and speed you have done when using a turbo trainer.

Im caught up in two mind whether to go for the 200 or pay more than double for the 500 as I know the 200 wont record speed/distance unless im outdoors.

Top Bottom