changing gear cables that run inside the frame.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think I'll stick with external cables for as long as I can.
I was with you, it looks like a massive faf to do internally routed cables, however, the positives of internal cables so outweigh the negatives ( nothing to catch and break if you tie up the bike on a public rack, or a work rack) and the neatness, of the internal set up, soon convinced me, that it's well worth the slight faf factor.

Tim Hall

I was with you, it looks like a massive faf to do internally routed cables, however, the positives of internal cables so outweigh the negatives ( nothing to catch and break if you tie up the bike on a public rack, or a work rack) and the neatness, of the internal set up, soon convinced me, that it's well worth the slight faf factor.
I don't think I've ever managed to catch and break a cable tieing it up on any kind of rack.

I don't think I've ever managed to catch and break a cable tieing it up on any kind of rack.
You've obviously got lucky, with no one threading their lock through your external cables, leaving you with little choice than to break your cable to get the bike out.

I've never had a cable catch on anything. I think the way cables are angled to go into tubing looks rather ugly, and much prefer a neat, colour co-ordinated outer.

Another factor to put me off is the potential for rattles with internal cables, which I understand on some brands is a very annoying issue.

I'll admit if I was in the TdF, then every marginal gain is worth it, but for mere mortals, there's a certain element of the Emperor's new clothes to the concept of internal cables on consumer bikes. Having also inspected a few, the seals on some don't look so efficient, so as well as possibly introducing an element of structural weakness in having a hole in the tubing, there's also the potential for water ingress.

It's yet another thing sold as innovation but really it's more so manufacturers can justify a new model.

Take your time and a spare cheap cable

Remove present inner

Thread cheap inner through the system

Remove outer

Thread new outer over cheap inner to feed it througn the frame

When new outer is in place, remove cheap inner and replace with new inner

Trim and tune

Works for Angiograms as well!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7u4oIlxYLNaFkPID8l39MRSe-3apaf9qq8aBQ4-2NqCdrayeh.jpg

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Eye of newt, ear of bat, the blood of a wholesome virgin and a rizla.

Its all black magic to me.

I've never had a cable catch on anything. I think the way cables are angled to go into tubing looks rather ugly, and much prefer a neat, colour co-ordinated outer.

Another factor to put me off is the potential for rattles with internal cables, which I understand on some brands is a very annoying issue.

I'll admit if I was in the TdF, then every marginal gain is worth it, but for mere mortals, there's a certain element of the Emperor's new clothes to the concept of internal cables on consumer bikes. Having also inspected a few, the seals on some don't look so efficient, so as well as possibly introducing an element of structural weakness in having a hole in the tubing, there's also the potential for water ingress.

It's yet another thing sold as innovation but really it's more so manufacturers can justify a new model.
The internal routers rattle like two skeletons shagging in a biscuit tin, if you're not careful. However, rattles work better than bells.

Based on that logic I might erect a scaffold crash deck over me in case a lump of ice falls from a plane.
It might happen !
How much slack was there on your cables ?
Not much, you'd be surprised how tw@ish some people can be. Then you come on an internet based cycling forum, and you get your answer.

simon.r

Person
Just wait until you have to thread a hydraulic hose through a frame:rolleyes:

The answer involves magnets, inner cables, pliers and several hours!

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
The internal routers rattle like two skeletons shagging in a biscuit tin, if you're not careful. However, rattles work better than bells.
Thanks .I had a good chuckle about the two skeletons.^_^

Have to say on the Synapse I havent had a problem with the cables rattling luckilly.

Top Bottom