changing gear cables that run inside the frame.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
On my synapse I ended up taping up the other holes in the frame apart from the two needed for the particular cable, then sucking at one of the holes with a hoover, feeding cotton through the other until it came out where the hoover nozzle was, then tying the cable to the cotton and using this to pull it through.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
That's not a bad idea, I've heard of magnets also been used. There must be. You tube clip or two.

If the old one is still in place, then tie a long enough piece of thread to it as you remove it, and then tie the thread to the new cable and pull it back through.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
On my synapse I ended up taping up the other holes in the frame apart from the two needed for the particular cable, then sucking at one of the holes with a hoover, feeding cotton through the other until it came out where the hoover nozzle was, then tying the cable to the cotton and using this to pull it through.
This is how I recently did mine after I foolishly assumed there would be some kind of internal guide when I pulled out the old cable :rolleyes:

Arsen Gere

Über Member
If you get completely stuck... Take the bars off, drop the front forks out and feed the cable in from the back. You should be able to see the cable in the frame and then route it through where ever it goes. Not the easiest way but some frames are a real pig if the cable outer goes all the way through too.

Big Dave laaa

Biking Ninja
That's not a bad idea, I've heard of magnets also been used. There must be. You tube clip or two.

If the old one is still in place, then tie a long enough piece of thread to it as you remove it, and then tie the thread to the new cable and pull it back through.

^^ this but I use a decent strength nylon fishing line. It slides easily and a bit stronger than thread. If you've already taken the old one out prepare to have your patience tested

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
feed a length of outer cable into the frame ( make sure its no longer on both sides) feed the inner cable through it and then pull through the outer from the frame and viola........

oldroadman

Veteran
I watched a team mechanic do this. First cut old inner cable end off, so there's plenty sticking out of the outer cable ends. Slide outer away leaving old inner in place. Feed new outer into place, secure, slide old inner away, slide new inner in place. Done. At least that's what I think he did! Looked nice and easy.
Internal routed cables are a right pain!

I watched a team mechanic do this. First cut old inner cable end off, so there's plenty sticking out of the outer cable ends. Slide outer away leaving old inner in place. Feed new outer into place, secure, slide old inner away, slide new inner in place. Done. At least that's what I think he did! Looked nice and easy.
This is the answer.

Another slight variation is to clamp the new cable inner to the old inner cable, with a crush connector ( the sort you use in an audio visual installation ) pull the new inner through ( don't forget to lube it up) you can also solder the cables together, or braze them together, when the new inner cable is through, cut off the old inner, then remove the old outer, and slide the new outers on.

Last edited:

Cubist

Still wavin'
This only works if the internally routed cable has outer cable along its length inside the frame. Many don't. I use the inner lining of an old piece of cable outer with the wire reinforcing and outer plastic cover stripped off to feed up the inner before removing it. Tape the sleeve in place and feed the new inner down through it. On some frames I have successfully used a length of hydraulic brake hose as a similar guide. Some better frames have removable end stops where the cable enters the frame, and you can simply feed the inner into the frame and hook it out with a seal pick/hook.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Yep, that's got to be the way.

Top Bottom