Changing gears. TV programme.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
Last night on London Live (channel 8 on freeview, but probably London area only) was this.

'Five young Londoners cycle from London to Brighton. Each from different backgrounds, the film looks at the transformative potential of the bicycle in bringing people together.'

It was quite good and is available on catch up here
http://www.londonlive.co.uk/programmes/changing-gears

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Cheers Mark.
Will watch later

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I couldn't find the link to the programme. All it said by ''Catch Up'' was the replay time: NEXT ON: 8:30am, Sun 08 Feb

EDIT: Aha, it's a very slow loading page.....the link is there.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
loved it ..:thumbsup: must try and get down some time for the London to Brighton ride ^_^

It's not as much fun as a FNRttC London to Brighton ride. I managed getting up Ditchling Beacon non-stop on my first attempt with the Fridays it was one of the most exhilarating cycling experiences I'd have not had the luxury of a clear road on the official London to Brighton ride.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
It's not as much fun as a FNRttC London to Brighton ride. I managed getting up Ditchling Beacon non-stop on my first attempt with the Fridays it was one of the most exhilarating cycling experiences I'd have not had the luxury of a clear road on the official London to Brighton ride.
But I thought it did manage to capture that 'first time' experience of the ride. Also that sense of repossessing the road that a while ago just about every youngster from London had forgotten. You have to remember that it does take a fair bit of riding to somewhere where you get a feel of being in the countryside when you're down here.

Meanwhile, I'm still a little confused about how they got from SE London (they went up Pagnell Rise in New Cross up to Chislehurst, presumably via Mottingham) and then cut back over to due south of London. @ianrauk will be far more familiar with SSW routes in that part of the world, though.

vernon

But I thought it did manage to capture that 'first time' experience of the ride. Also that sense of repossessing the road that a while ago just about every youngster from London had forgotten. You have to remember that it does take a fair bit of riding to somewhere where you get a feel of being in the countryside when you're down here.

Meanwhile, I'm still a little confused about how they got from SE London (they went up Pagnell Rise in New Cross up to Chislehurst, presumably via Mottingham) and then cut back over to due south of London. @ianrauk will be far more familiar with SSW routes in that part of the world, though.

My London centric FNRttC rides with the Fridays as as much a novelty with me - a large urban expanse to navigate as the York-centric FNRttC is for the London based riders - into open countriside within twenty minutes. I still replay my ascent of Ditchling Beacon with @mmmmartin as my wingman talking me through the strategy for an unbroken ascent. It was the most magical moment when i crested the summit.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
I doubt your pleasure, great as it was, exceeded mine in the sheer joy at your achievement.
And by the way, you should have followed me up on my offer to come to Patagonia with me. I'm there now. It's good. In a good good sort of way.....

vernon

I doubt your pleasure, great as it was, exceeded mine in the sheer joy at your achievement.
And by the way, you should have followed me up on my offer to come to Patagonia with me. I'm there now. It's good. In a good good sort of way.....

If I knew then what I know now about my negotiating powers and zero hours contracts I'd be there with you. I now have a three month tour slot at my disposal which takes in July, August and September and a temperate zone in mind for the tour.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Last night on London Live (channel 8 on freeview, but probably London area only) was this.

'Five young Londoners cycle from London to Brighton. Each from different backgrounds, the film looks at the transformative potential of the bicycle in bringing people together.'

It was quite good and is available on catch up here
http://www.londonlive.co.uk/programmes/changing-gears

Thanks, that was an excellent little programme and has to be the best advert for cycling I have ever seen; it should be shown on prime time telly.

It brought back memories of how exciting it was as a youngster to go to some far off place with a few pals (okay, it was only the Campsie Fells when I was 13 but that was about a 35 mile round trip) and feel that first taste of independence, freedom and real adventure. Back then, cycling was normal - everybody had a bike. It was the key to a whole new world outside the housing scheme.

I'll stop now before I reminisce about "jumpers for goalposts..."

GC

Top Bottom