Changing gears while sprinting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was just thinking to myself... when I was a newcomer to road-cycling; I started sprinting and along with that; I started to change gears while sprinting. While doing this; I noticed that it would cause a strain on the gears e.t.c; so I would just sit back down and jump up a gear and carry on sprinting. I don't do this anymore, as I have mastered my technique in sprinting; my question is, how do you sprint and do you change gears while sprinting?

Steve H

Large Member
The higher end groupsets of gears are much better at changing gear under high loads apparently. Especially the Di2 kit.

For us mere mortals on less expensive kit, we just have to let up on the power a little when changing gear. I find that as long as I'm in the right chainring, moving down the cassette a notch or two isn't too much of a problem.

OP
OP
TheLondonCyclist
The higher end groupsets of gears are much better at changing gear under high loads apparently. Especially the Di2 kit.

For us mere mortals on less expensive kit, we just have to let up on the power a little when changing gear. I find that as long as I'm in the right chainring, moving down the cassette a notch or two isn't too much of a problem.
I'm using Ultegra right now. Might give it another try today; see how it changes.

Choose the right gear before you start your sprint - if you're having to change mid-sprint then you've got it wrong. Ideally the gear should be not so big that you can't wind it up enough, but not so small that you spin out before the finish line. For me - in a circuit that means usually around one or two gears higher than I'm already in, providing I've still got some legs left. Trial and error as usual...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I went over the handlebars and headbutted a road and ripped the top off one shoulder as a teenager when the bike I was sprinting on slipped out of gear, so I wouldn't really fancy changing under severe load even if it were supposedly safe to do so! :stop:

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I frequently change gear..

but I never sprint!:smile:

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Get the power on and start flicking the sprint button as required, it's really sensitive, almost hair trigger.

1297793866621-yyqlylailhls-280-75.jpg

Nebulous

Guru
Not sure I like that hole in the bar tape, though looks generally don't bother me at all!

I sometimes do a short sprint on Strava. There's a downhill section of road from traffic lights, with the segment starting about 15 metres before it finishes, and then the road goes up for about 300 metres. I surprised myself by being better at it than I expected, but my best times are with picking a gear at the traffic lights, spinning faster than I normally do at the bottom, and gradually losing cadence as I wear out up the other side. I've tried a higher gear, then change down on the (modest) hill but any gains in top speed at the bottom are more than wiped out by losses on having to change down going up the other side.

Top Bottom