Changing handle bars on a mountain bike for health reasons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Topfmine

I have been riding my mountain bike a Fusion I bought many years ago and still use it, nothing fancy only a rock shock stem to the handle bars to cushion the shock when I hit a bump, no fancy hydraulic brakes etc just a good quality tangent very light weight bike. Over their years I have changed the gear shifters and drailiers, tyres etc, the first job was to fit a sealed bottom bracket which has lasted 25 years of hard riding,still going strong. The other thing I have done is replaced the handle bars to Dutch style semi cow horns which make me sit up, so I can see all around, I feel I have more control and I feel I can pedal harder being upright. I mainly done this because normal mountain bike bars were giving me bad shoulder and neck problems which I don't have now. Has anyone tried changing their handle bars on their bike for a similar reason. Try and get some pictures of my machine if I get time.

Drago

Legendary Member
The olde home made tracker bikes of the 60s and 70s used those bars, so there's good provenance to your tinkering.

OP
OP
T

Topfmine

IMG_20160723_143924749.jpg

The beast in question, had to lengthen the cables but not an issue.

Drago

Legendary Member
Renthal do motocross styled MTB bars in 3 or 4 different heights. The tallest look almost BMX like, but are wider.

images.jpg

Last edited:

Northern Jack

Solved my bad shoulder and neck problem, by going to a shorter stem; may need to resort to your solution if it reoccurs. Like your bike, looks different, different is good. How do you find your suspension stem?

Top Bottom