MTB drop bar conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have finally got around to converting my subway to drops.
Bontrager drop bars off flea bay , less than £10
Tektro rl 520 linear aero brake levers £15.99
8 speed/ friction left bar end shifters second hand £8
Bar tape £6.99
Cables , i had in stock
Longer stem as the bars are a really short reach , in stock

I might flip the stem yet as this is the initial set up , all indexed and test ridden :smile:
drop bar mtb.jpg

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Mmmmm, those bar end shifters look like they could be awkward to use on the road, the bike looks a little like a cx.

I have finally got around to converting my subway to drops.
Bontrager drop bars off flea bay , less than £10
Tektro rl 520 linear aero brake levers £15.99
8 speed/ friction left bar end shifters second hand £8
Bar tape £6.99
Cables , i had in stock
Longer stem as the bars are a really short reach , in stock

I might flip the stem yet as this is the initial set up , all indexed and test ridden :smile:
View attachment 122166

I like.
I find drops the most comfortable bars of them all.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Mmmmm, those bar end shifters look like they could be awkward to use on the road, the bike looks a little like a cx.
Tested the shifters on the road , as the drops are really compact so they are easy enough to reach and certainly more comfy for me than flat bars.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Changed the cassette to an 11-28 today as i found the gaps a bit big on the on 11 -32 , i think i will keep the stem angle because if i drop it lower i might find the shifters harder to reach .

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Rode to work yesterday , maybe 2 minutes faster than when it was stock but obviously on the hills is where it struggles due to its weight.

I've been toying with attempting this with my old ridgeback 604 mountain bike as I find the flat bars uncomfortable now. I hadn't considered bar end shifters as I have sti levers from another bike.

food for thought, cheers

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

I've been toying with attempting this with my old ridgeback 604 mountain bike as I find the flat bars uncomfortable now. I hadn't considered bar end shifters as I have sti levers from another bike.

food for thought, cheers
You could use your sti s , you would need a road front mech and you might get the right cable pull for your v brakes (?) with travel adaptors
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Problem-S...e606535&pid=100011&rk=1&rkt=1&sd=400844182645
I find the bar end shifters easy enough to use but im lucky enough to have picked up really compact set of drops .

You could use your sti s , you would need a road front mech and you might get the right cable pull for your v brakes (?) with travel adaptors
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Problem-Solver-Travel-Agent-V-Brake-Adapter-Converter-For-Road-Mountain-BMX/121772332972?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20140107083358&meid=37e6e3a5d2054c8b855a31915e606535&pid=100011&rk=1&rkt=1&sd=400844182645
I find the bar end shifters easy enough to use but im lucky enough to have picked up really compact set of drops .

thanks for posting the link.

I think this may be a long term project so this info is pretty useful. I am actually thinking of new CX wheels to replace the 26 inch so there will be other considerations.

cheers.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Update ...
Im finding the bars a bit narrow as they are 38s and it looks weird from the cockpit due to the chunkiness of everything else, considering moving to 42s or would bull horns work if i used the shifters ala TT ones at the bul horns ? summat like this with the shifters at the end?
_DSC0587.jpg

Top Bottom