Changing Hybrid to Road tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iandavidson1982

Hi,

I apologise if this has been asked and answered elsewhere, i've been looking around all afternoon to find an answer and couldn't really find anything!

Right....

I am looking to replace my hybrid tyres on my Specialized Crosstrail to road tyres. The tyres I have at the moment are 44x622, now the question I have is...what size of tyres can I replace them with? i know that the 44x622 is 700 x 42C. I'm assuming I can have <42C tyres, but not sure if there is a minimum size or something.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

I apologise if this has been asked and answered elsewhere, i've been looking around all afternoon to find an answer and couldn't really find anything!

Right....

I am looking to replace my hybrid tyres on my Specialized Crosstrail to road tyres. The tyres I have at the moment are 44x622, now the question I have is...what size of tyres can I replace them with? i know that the 44x622 is 700 x 42C. I'm assuming I can have <42C tyres, but not sure if there is a minimum size or something.

Thanks in advance

Ian you'll find this subject has been covered numerous times, it all depends on your interior rim width, Sheldon Brown does quite a good piece on it, the table at the bottom of his page sums it up very simply. I'm guessing that you have 21mm rims would mean the narrowest you could safely go is 35mm tyres. This is only a guess you could quite as easily have 19mm rims (allowing you to fit 28mm tyres) or 23mm rims (then you couldn't fit smaller); check. If you wanted to go narrower you'd need narrower rims. I hope that helps, good luck :smile:

OP
OP
I

iandavidson1982

Ian you'll find this subject has been covered numerous times, it all depends on your interior rim width, Sheldon Brown does quite a good piece on it, the table at the bottom of his page sums it up very simply. I'm guessing that you have 21mm rims would mean the narrowest you could safely go is 35mm tyres. This is only a guess you could quite as easily have 19mm rims (allowing you to fit 28mm tyres) or 23mm rims (then you couldn't fit smaller); check. If you wanted to go narrower you'd need narrower rims. I hope that helps, good luck :smile:

Thanks for the quick response. I Believe you are right in that it is a 21mm rim. I'm going to have a look around for a 35mm tyre as I commute 15miles a day and its pretty much all on roads / paths, so would be better getting thinner tyres.

Thanks again for your help.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
If it has the Alex Z1000 rim (which is given as the spec for the 2010 model), then you have an internal diameter of 19.9, so you could probably get away with a 28mm tyre, but maybe go for a 32mm to be on the safe side.

Top Bottom