Changing in internal hub?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lindleyjoe

Hi all, I'm fairly new to commuting to work by bike so I've got very limited know how. I've got a Specialized San Francisco 2 that has a Shimano 3 speed internal hub my question is - is it possible to change to a Nexus 8 speed or Alfine 8 speed hub? Would one have to buy all of the kit that goes with it and/or a new back wheel or can I canibalise alot of what I've already got?

It's a cracking bike for my main purpose which is a very flat commute but I was thinking an upgrade to a hub with more speeds might make it a little more flexible.

Cheers
Joe

hubgearfreak

Über Member
before you start, can i ask what sprocket you have on the back, what chainwheel on the front and what tyre size ?
the reason i ask is that i'm firmly of the belief that there's a holy trinity of gear inches for a 3-speed hub, ie. 46", 62" & 82" often 3 speed bikes are horrendously overgeared and the simple prcedure of a new rear sprocket and chain could transform it, for c.£10-£12 and 1 hour of your time

otherwise.....you could re-use the rim, and even the spokes if
a. they're in good condition
b. you're a wheelbuilder.

however, i'd be tempted to leave that wheel as is, and buy a new one. that way, you've got a spare wheel if you ever damage the rim or hub of your bike.

i'd also steer clear of shimano hub gears, and would use sram 5,7 or 9 speed.

Top Bottom