Changing mobile contract - any advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Basically we're all with three network and we live in a small, rural village at the end of a few roads. We get a signal outside for voice and texts but data isn't great in parts of the village. We're kind of on the edge of a better signal with most networks. EE seems better with better data indoors than most networks. Vodafone is out as network has poor signal. I'm thinking of going ee or staring with three directly or through virtual network. Any advice of networks or deals?

Data,I used to use about 30gb for a couple of reasons. Now last 3 months show less than 2gb each on the phone. That seems low but its mostly Internet, emails and odd streaming. Plus occasionally running as a hotspot for other devices. Any suggestions on what data is best?

Phone and sim or just sim to buy phone somewhere else? Where to find the phone if sim only?

Basically I don't switch often which means I'm kind of over paying for data I don't need. So any advice gratefully received.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The virtual providers who sit on the main networks will be a lot cheaper. Many have an app to manage a monthly contract and you can change your data allowance month to month as you see fit. I have a sim only deal as nowt wrong with phone I have. If likely to use in EU, check you have free roaming including data.

tom73

Guru
Try Smarty it's Three's own cheeper virtual network. Plenty of deals and options link them to one account called a group and you get 10% off a month for each one. Some have also give money off unused data ,we've been with them for a few years now no problems they often have offers on too. They are doing 24gb for price of 12 (£8) a good offer seeing the basic 4gb plan is £6. Free roaming is included what ever plan you have. All plans are monthly with no tie in so leave when you like or change to different plan at anytime.
Sim free phone are easy to find and best option your not tried down and free to move to who you want at anytime.

DRM

Guru
If O2 have a good signal, get a GiffGaff sim, 20GB for a tenner, the trouble with 3 is the signal is dreadful in a heck of a lot of places, too many as they shut a lot of their cell sites a fair while back

stephec

Legendary Member
Smarty for me as well, £10 for 30gb which they recently doubled up to 60gb for some reason that I didn't question.

kynikos

Veteran
Make sure your handset and plan have WiFi calling available and enabled - that way you might avoid the 'outdoors for voice' problem described.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
In rural locations there's not much guarantee of data, many networks will prioritise voice calls over data where the network provision is limited . Another trick, if you haven't already discovered it is to experiment with network settings: your phone might be auto-subscribing to the newest network type without being able to establish if that is actually the best in your situation, for example it might connect to 4G or 5G when the local 4G or 5G mast might be oversubscribed, but the local 3G service is much less busy.

tom73

Guru
In rural locations there's not much guarantee of data, many networks will prioritise voice calls over data where the network provision is limited . Another trick, if you haven't already discovered it is to experiment with network settings: your phone might be auto-subscribing to the newest network type without being able to establish if that is actually the best in your situation, for example it might connect to 4G or 5G when the local 4G or 5G mast might be oversubscribed, but the local 3G service is much less busy.

3G is at some point is due to be switched off so may only prove a temporary fix.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Can you go onto each provider's website and see what the coverage is on a map? I think most of the major ones do it. I chnaged from 3 to Vodafone as my partner's vodafone coverage was always better everywhere we went. I got unlimited minutes and 20G data for £8/month, but they are very crafty and when reading the smallprint I see it's only 5GB of 5g, so when you've used that up you just get 15GB of 4g. I only use about 3-5GB a month though.

Have you looked in to any boosters etc? My parents live in something of a blackspot and had a vodafone booster which worked off their wired router. They were able to get enough signal to at least use their mobiles around the house.

tom73

Guru
Can you go onto each provider's website and see what the coverage is on a map? I think most of the major ones do it. I chnaged from 3 to Vodafone as my partner's vodafone coverage was always better everywhere we went. I got unlimited minutes and 20G data for £8/month, but they are very crafty and when reading the smallprint I see it's only 5GB of 5g, so when you've used that up you just get 15GB of 4g. I only use about 3-5GB a month though.

Have you looked in to any boosters etc? My parents live in something of a blackspot and had a vodafone booster which worked off their wired router. They were able to get enough signal to at least use their mobiles around the house.

I think offcom have a map of all network coverage. Like you say most providers let you search coverage.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have been with GiffGaff, who piggyback onto o2. I have been with them for around 10 years now, maybe a little longer. They are fabulous. I have unlimited calls and texts and buckets of data for a tenner a month

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have been with GiffGaff, who piggyback onto o2. I have been with them for around 10 years now, maybe a little longer. They are fabulous. I have unlimited calls and texts and buckets of data for a tenner a month
Ditto.

But...
Make sure your handset and plan have WiFi calling available and enabled - that way you might avoid the 'outdoors for voice' problem described.
I have that 'outdoors for voice' problem when I visit my sister in Devon. Unfortunately, Giffgaff do not support WiFi calling!

Top Bottom