Changing mountain bike tyes to road tyres.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doug.

Veteran
Hello.

I am about to change the above cycle tyres 650b , 27.5 to road tyres.

For comfort I would like a wide tyre 2 ins. or more.

I have road bikes but wish to use the m. t .b for my daily commute ,I find the nobly tyres slow me down.

The m. t. b has front suspension, very good for the pot hole (crater ridden ) roads I am obliged to use.

Please can any one suggest a suitable road tyre and if possible supplier ?

I have experienced difficulty In obtaining such a size

I am hoping to try this combination so do not wish (or can ) spend too much cash.

Should my experiment fail I shall resume the journey per road bike.

Thanking you in advance for any replies.

Enjoy your cycling.

Yours.

Doug .F.

iluvmybike

Über Member

You'll struggle to find a two inch tyre in a road tread to fit 650. Do you prefer to prioritise speed or protection? Puncture resistance is the enemy of rolling resistance.

I tend towards Schwalbe tyres because their tech is great, their range is huge and they cater for some of the less common sizes. They're very durable too.

Road Cruiser is bang in the middle - delivering a good balance of speed and security. Available in a 1.4 and 1.65 (35 and 42) section.

I use a 650c G-One on the front of my Cruiser in 2.35 section, it's bloody lovely to ride, fast (for its size) and 'so far so good' on the puncture front - but it wouldn't be my first choice for daily commuting. Available in a 2 inch too.

If puncture resistance is your top priority then look at the Marathon Plus in a 1.5 (38) section.

another vote for Schwalbe City Jets from me

OP
OP
D

Doug.

Veteran
Unfortunately the recommended tyre are for 26 ins. wheels.
Look very good tyres and a small price.
Thank you all for the replies.
Special thanks' to Ajax Bay.

Yours

Doug.

Top Bottom