Changing my mutt's diet to a more healthy one

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
This is an interesting subject, one I've been thinking about anyway. We hear canned dog food makes digestion hard, lack vital nutrients etc etc and potentially causes cancers and shortens life, but what did we feed dogs 30 / 40 years ago ?
I remember fresh uncooked bones from the butchers as a treat, but can't remember if we fed ours canned dog food in say the 1970s.
Ours is currently on Bakers supplemented quite often with any veg we have eaten that he will safely (while sweetcorn is more than ok off the cob, while he presumably gets nutrients from it, there's a lot of poorly digested remains in his poop), carrots, brocoli, Cauliflower...all in moderation, just to top up nutrients etc..tuna twice a week mixed in his Bakers.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
This is an interesting subject, one I've been thinking about anyway. We hear canned dog food makes digestion hard, lack vital nutrients etc etc and potentially causes cancers and shortens life, but what did we feed dogs 30 / 40 years ago ?
I remember fresh uncooked bones from the butchers as a treat, but can't remember if we fed ours canned dog food in say the 1970s.
Ours is currently on Bakers supplemented quite often with any veg we have eaten that he will safely (while sweetcorn is more than ok off the cob, while he presumably gets nutrients from it, there's a lot of poorly digested remains in his poop), carrots, brocoli, Cauliflower...all in moderation, just to top up nutrients etc..tuna twice a week mixed in his Bakers.
Bakers is considered pretty poor I think. Is it not full of colours and additives and not much else!

Drago

Legendary Member
Before nasty tinned dog food dogs would normally eat human food scraps and leftovers.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Humans were also originally designed to eat a raw diet, but if anyone's tempted to try it for themselves, we no longer have all the genes needed to produce the necessary enzymes for digestion:
"we are the only creature unable to survive on raw food. Eat an uncooked diet and in the end you will die. Our guts have been so reduced and our digestive enzymes so enfeebled that we depend on an external stomach, a frying pan or microwave, to stay alive"
“ Naked Scientists “ podcast looked at the question and mentioned Steve Jones who you quoted. Their conclusion was that humans can survive on raw food as long as it is the right sort of raw food.
Interesting subject and not one that I’d previously considered.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
article-0-11900BD2000005DC-915_468x356.jpg

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Raw diet here for our pup. Minimal Kibble for treats as part of training. She may get some cooked chicken now and again but only as a treat. No tinned good unless I’ve forgotten to defrost the raw stuff .

Norry1

Legendary Member
Our wolfdog eats mainly raw mince - it is quite pricey so we throw in frozen chicken drumsticks and wings. He catched the odd squirrel and will eat them if we let him.

Top Bottom