Changing rear bicycle wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The bearings on my rear bicycle wheel are shot and I am looking to do a quick fix by replacing the wheel with a wheel (Axis 2.0) from another one of my bikes.

My bike is 8 speed and the rear wheel I am considering using is from an 11 speed bike.

I realise there would be a bit of a mismatch. But would this be disastrous? Could I get away with it? Or should I see a mechanic and get a suitable wheel.

Thanks

Nick

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You'd need to swap the cassette over too.

I think the splines are different between the hubs.

Not a good idea.
Unless you have a friction shifter then you'll not get the gears to shift evenly using an 8 speed shifter and an 11 speed cassette.
The 8 speed chain may be too wide to fit in an 11 speed cassette without something jamming.
A new hub/wheel would be a better idea.

Luck ......... :biggrin:

si_c

Guru
Should work fine, the splines are the same on Shimano you'll need spacers for the 8 speed cassette to fit on the 11sp hub - your local bike shop can provide them most likely.

You'll also probably need to tweak the barrel adjuster on the derailleur, but other than that you are good to go.

Skanker

You will need to swap the chain too If you don’t change the cassette, it’s starting to look like a big job now!
Might be easier just to find an old 7 speed wheel somewhere and avoid using all 8 gears when riding, or a 9 speed wheel as chain is still same size. Both can be found cheap.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
You will need to swap the chain too If you don’t change the cassette, it’s starting to look like a big job now!
Might be easier just to find an old 7 speed wheel somewhere and avoid using all 8 gears when riding, or a 9 speed wheel as chain is still same size. Both can be found cheap.
Why would the OP need to change the chain? Same cassette, same bike, same chain.

Reactions: C R

Skanker

Why would the OP need to change the chain? Same cassette, same bike, same chain.
He was planning on using a different cassette on a different wheel, that’s why he would need a new chain. His current cassette is 8 speed and the one he wanted to use is 11 speed.

Big job indeed! Thanks for teaching me something about bikes and glad I didn’t try it in desperation. I took the bike into Evans this morning after a clanky ride in and getting a new wheel fitted.

Thanks everyone else for posting.

si_c

Guru
He was planning on using a different cassette on a different wheel, that’s why he would need a new chain. His current cassette is 8 speed and the one he wanted to use is 11 speed.
I read it as he was planning on using the 8 speed cassette from the broken wheel on his 11 speed wheel. Using the 11 speed cassette wouldn't work at all so that would be the only option.

Reactions: C R

Skanker

I read it as he was planning on using the 8 speed cassette from the broken wheel on his 11 speed wheel. Using the 11 speed cassette wouldn't work at all so that would be the only option.
I didn’t want to assume it was possible as op didn’t mention if it was hub or screw fit cassette. It’s going to be a massive hassle compared to getting a new wheel anyway and I’m an easy option guy. I just pay ‘the man’ to do it for me if it costs less than my wages pay me for the same period of time it would take to do myself.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Should work fine, the splines are the same on Shimano you'll need spacers for the 8 speed cassette to fit on the 11sp hub - your local bike shop can provide them most likely.
This ^^^ assuming both wheels freehubs Shimano (and your LBS will be able to tell you what spacers you need before supplying them). Fitting the 'old' 8sp cassette on the 'new' wheel (freehub) will require a chain whip, a cassette tool and a spanner. Current chain should work fine with 'old' (ie current) cassette - why wouldn't it?
OP didn’t mention if it was hub or screw fit cassette.
"I’m an easy option guy. I just pay ‘the man’ to do it for me"
Come across many 8 speed freewheels, have you (which is what i think you must mean by 'screw fit cassette')?

Top Bottom