Changing rear cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TWB

Hello all,

I need to change my rear cassette from 11-28 to 11-32, it's very hilly where I live! I've got an ultegra gear set with a short cage derailleur, do you think I'll have to change my derailleur too or could I get away with the short cage?

Thanks

Tom

steve50

Disenchanted Member
I've just changed mine for exactly the same reason, the short cage will cope as long as you don't try to use the lower gears with the big ring (cross chaining) you will be fine, I didn't even have to index my gears after the change.

autolycus

Über Member
Hello all,

I need to change my rear cassette from 11-28 to 11-32, it's very hilly where I live! I've got an ultegra gear set with a short cage derailleur, do you think I'll have to change my derailleur too or could I get away with the short cage?

Thanks

Tom

I changed from a 32 tooth to 36 tooth bottom gear on a boardman hybrid (it must be even hillier where i live!) and it worked fine with the same chain and derailleur. I guess you're going to have to find someone who's done it on the exact same set-up as yours or take a chance and see.

migrantwing

Veteran
Screw the B screw ALL the way in, change to big/big (for testing purposes only), then measure the distance between the top jockey wheel and the cogs on the 28t. If you have 8mm gap or more between the two, then you're fine. I recently changed to a 30t and there is still loads of room that I could have, most likely, fitted 32t. 105 5700 compact/short cage RD.

My recent post/thread with lots of good advice and information:

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/11-28-to-a-12-30.198531/post-4245710

Top Bottom