11-28 to a 12-30

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The short cage is an SS; the medium is a GS and MTB RDs mostly have long cages. Don't think you get 'long cage' road RDs (if the GS is deemed a medium).

Milkfloat

An Peanut
How do you guys know the difference between a medium cage and a long one?

The length. :smile:

gs-ss.jpg

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
Fitted the new Ultegra 12-30t cassette and went thru the gears. Everything is fine and there's plenty of clearance between the 30t and the top jockey wheel, even without the B screw all the way in.

I tried the big/big combo, not that I'll ever ride in that gearing, but wanted to check it just in case I ever subconsciously drop into that combo. What do you guys think of the chain length? Bearing in mind it's in big/big. Do you think I should add a link or two? Pic below:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
I'd add one link to that just in case, it's cutting it a bit too fine. Or to play safe, use this calculator -

http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/bike/chain_length/chainlengthcalc.html

That's what I was thinking, Smokin Joe :okay: Probably need a new chain anyway, and it's an excuse to buy more bike related stuff ^_^

I'm sure I used a calculator to double check what I determined was the optimal length for the 28t cassette I had on previously, so an extra link with the 30t sounds about right.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I'd add one link
Definitely - two links (one inch) (and not 'just in case'). Not prudent to ride like that . As a rule of thumb, cage must not make an angle of less than 45 degrees with the chainstay.
Probably need a new chain anyway
but the chain and cassette haven't done that many miles, in all honesty
Given that the chain has seen little use, you should be perfectly OK to just add those links in, rather than go to the expense of a new chain. Your LBS, if the generous sort and with the benefit of your custom for other stuff, should be able to let you have a few links gratis. They will have spare from replacing other people's chains.

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
Definitely - two links (one inch) (and not 'just in case'). Not prudent to ride like that . As a rule of thumb, cage must not make an angle of less than 45 degrees with the chainstay.

Given that the chain has seen little use, you should be perfectly OK to just add those links in, rather than go to the expense of a new chain. Your LBS, if the generous sort and with the benefit of your custom for other stuff, should be able to let you have a few links gratis. They will have spare from replacing other people's chains.

I may have a few links from my old chain. What's the overall vote on using two KMC links, as I have no chain pins?

Ajax Bay

Guru
@Yellow Saddle can give best advice. I see no practical reason why that should not work.

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
There's no problem using multiple quick links in a chain. But don't use links from a worn chain. Old not being the same as worn. You can mix brands if you like but don't recycle worn chains.

Is there any preferred positioning of quick links when using two? For instance, right next to each other, opposite ends of the chain run (along the top or bottom run) or adajcent to each other (top and bottom run) or doesn't it matter? Just curious.

Top Bottom