11-28 to a 12-30

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
Just make up a cassette to suit you - it's no big deal. Get anything with a 30 tooth and fit the sprocket to whatever you want - easy.
PS have just done it on the old Dawes from 28 - 30 and yes it makes a lot of difference.

I don't know how you've done that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's possible with a 10 speed cassette as the smaller cogs are singular and the larger ones are joined to one another by pins. Then you have spacers etc. You say you have done it, so how and what did you do?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I know Dura-ace used to be all separate sprockets and it was possible to get them individually (for building up custom cassettes) but I've not seen those for a while.

sidevalve

Über Member
I don't know how you've done that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's possible with a 10 speed cassette as the smaller cogs are singular and the larger ones are joined to one another by pins. Then you have spacers etc. You say you have done it, so how and what did you do?
The pins are easy to remove - they are not vital anyway - the spacers you just re-use - check out sheldon brown

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
The pins are easy to remove - they are not vital anyway - the spacers you just re-use - check out sheldon brown

Ah yes, the pins/rivets.

I will probably have a tinker next week. I'll keep you updated as to my success. Thanks for the advice.

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
Pulled the trigger on an Ultegra 12-30t. Should be here tomorrow.

I'm running full 5700 at the moment, but may upgrade the front and rear mechs to Ultegra at some point. Can't really complain at £60 for both.

Last edited:
OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
Changing the rear cage, is that a swap of the cage or full deraillieur?

Full item I'm afraid.

Can't you just change the actual cage to a medium or long cage? Or is there more to it than that? I could swear I've read/heard it done.

Top Bottom