11-28 to a 12-30

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
11 tooth gears never wear out on my cassettes for some reason:tongue:

Same here :smile:

Ajax Bay

Guru
My argument is that 2 teeth is not enough to warrant the cost and hassle.
How much hassle is it to replace the 11-28 with a 12-30 cassette? The 5700 RD can cope with the 30t and the capacity required is only one more so chain would be fine. Going from a 28t to a 30t gives OP an extra 7%, which is quite a bit, and maybe is all that's needed.
Mind you the 12-30 cassettes all seem to be 'out of stock'.

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
Gonna have to check my DR capacity and chain. I have that horrible feeling that I'll need another chain, too.

Are the basic KMC DX-10 chains any good or should I go for something a bit higher up the chain (no pun intended)?

Nibor

Bewildered
Gonna have to check my DR capacity and chain. I have that horrible feeling that I'll need another chain, too.

Are the basic KMC DX-10 chains any good or should I go for something a bit higher up the chain (no pun intended)?
I got a DX-10 with my new cassette seemes really smooth and are generally well thught of on line.

potsy

Rambler

I would keep the same chain, unless you are running in big/big it should be fine, maybe fit a slightly longer one next time you need to change it.

Always used KMC here, their X93 or 73 range.

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
I think my DR is a short cage version, so no way of running a 32t, let alone a 34t, unless Shimano are as conservative with their numbers as people say.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Unless you have a triple up front capacity of your RD is not an issue/problem, and even then it's only a one tooth increase. Unless you know that the chain has had limited use, it's probably worth changing it when you replace the cassette as the latter will last longer (£30 cassette if you use the one @Afnug has linked) and a £15 chain).

@Nibor - why don't you link up with @MontyVeda - he could use the 11t of the last cassette you replaced.

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
Unless you have a triple up front capacity of your RD is not an issue/problem, and even then it's only a one tooth increase. Unless you know that the chain has had limited use, it's probably worth changing it when you replace the cassette as the latter will last longer (£30 cassette if you use the one @Afnug has linked) and a £15 chain).

@Nibor - why don't you link up with @MontyVeda - he could use the 11t of the last cassette you replaced.

Do you think I could get away with an 11-32t cassette, @Ajax Bay? Plenty of room in my B screw, or do you think a 30t is my limit?

Last edited:
OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
What are your chainwheels ie how many teeth? This thread covered similar ground:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/lowering-shimano-105-gearing.198048/
and this thread covered new cassette/old chain issue:
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/old-chain-new-cassette-question.197640

Compact 50/34 up front

I also checked my RD and there are no specific markings on it to determine whether it is a short or medium cage DR. I did measure the length of the cage and it was around 97-98mm from end to end, so I don't know if that is a short or medium cage RD.

Attachments

• rd5800gsl.jpg
    rd5800gsl.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

doog

Have done two short cage swaps with cassettes one was 27, the other 28..both changed to 30's....might have to adjust the B screw ! and yes...it makes a hell of a difference (on hills:okay:)

Nibor

Bewildered

It has plenty f life in it I thought I may keep a spare

Top Bottom