old chain new cassette question?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Will an old chain slip on a new cassette? I know they do the other way around, but for a short period is it OK to run a new cassette without replacing the chain?

e-rider

crappy member
I'm not sure if it will slip as I've never tried it, however, you will definitely increase wear to the new cassette which isn't ideal unless you have deep pockets
just buy a new chain too

Well, you will run the risk - really it will depend on how worn the chain is but they are cheap enough, so why not just get a new one?

OP
OP
Hacienda71

Hacienda71

I am putting the new cassette and wheels on a different bike at the weekend and the bike I am using is getting a slightly larger max tooth cassette I haven't picked up yet so was just trying to avoid cutting a new chain short on the bike for a day or two.
I will just transplant the old cassette onto the other wheelset for the next couple of days then. It just means an extra swap over. Just didn't know if I could get away with it for 30 miles or so. :okay:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yep it will skip.

But.. I put a new cassette on my MTB with a lightly used chain. Checked for stretch, none. Skipped first 2 rides, then tweaked the mech alignment slightly, gone. I'd moved from Shimano Cassette to a SRAM one, and new jockeys, slight alignment issue.

Worn chains won't work on new cassettes.

No, a worn chain will NOT slip on a new cassette. Semantics first. The process of a chain sliding over a sprocket without engaging in the teeth of the sprocket is called skate.
Anyway, a chain enters the cassette under slack where it is easy for it to slip onto the sprocket teeth because it can compress or elongate at will to match the tooth profile. As the entry point rotates and increasingly come under tension, you'll find that only one tooth supports chain tension because the chain is too long for the tooth profile and the links behind the one in tension will simply lie slack.
Proof that an old chain does not skate under tension can be found on your bike. As you ride and increase chain length through time, the cassette wears to accommodate the ever-lengthening chain. This only happens in your favourite gears. The sprockets at either end of the favourite zone don't wear. However, when you change to that gear, the chain happily rides it without skating. It is only when you fit a new chain and it skates over those worn gears that you actually discover that the cassette is worn.
It ill be OK for 30 miles or so because even though it will put extra stress on the cassette teeth, it will not damage it on a short ride.

It is all explained in "the book."

OP
OP
Hacienda71

Hacienda71

No, a worn chain will NOT slip on a new cassette. Semantics first. The process of a chain sliding over a sprocket without engaging in the teeth of the sprocket is called skate.
Anyway, a chain enters the cassette under slack where it is easy for it to slip onto the sprocket teeth because it can compress or elongate at will to match the tooth profile. As the entry point rotates and increasingly come under tension, you'll find that only one tooth supports chain tension because the chain is too long for the tooth profile and the links behind the one in tension will simply lie slack.
Proof that an old chain does not skate under tension can be found on your bike. As you ride and increase chain length through time, the cassette wears to accommodate the ever-lengthening chain. This only happens in your favourite gears. The sprockets at either end of the favourite zone don't wear. However, when you change to that gear, the chain happily rides it without skating. It is only when you fit a new chain and it skates over those worn gears that you actually discover that the cassette is worn.
It ill be OK for 30 miles or so because even though it will put extra stress on the cassette teeth, it will not damage it on a short ride.

It is all explained in "the book."
Thanks, all sounds logical. What is "the book" Zinn?

Thanks, all sounds logical. What is "the book" Zinn?
http://tinyurl.com/lwcsss5

Top Bottom