Changing Stem on Trek MTB...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boon 51

Veteran
Can anyone tell me how to change a stem on my Trek Elite 8.5 MTB.. or perhaps a link showing how its done..
I will be getting a new stem this week end and hope to fit it later next week when I get home from the visit to the UK.
Many thanks..

lulubel

Über Member
  1. Remove the 4 bolts on the front of the old stem to release the handlebars. (I generally let them hang from the brake and gear cables - not sure what other people do.)
  2. Loosen the 2 bolts on the clamp that attaches the stem to the steerer tube.
  3. Remove the bolt in the top of the steerer tube and take the top cap off.
  4. Slide the old stem off the top of the steerer tube, slide the new stem on.
  5. Replace the top cap and do up the bolt firmly, but not too tight.
  6. Align the stem with the front wheel, and tighten the bolts that attach it to the steerer tube.
  7. Attach the handlebars to the front of the new stem.
The tricky part is getting the bolt on the top of the steerer (which sets the compression on the headset bearings) just tight enough, but not too tight. I generally do this by overtightening slightly at first - you know you've overtightened when you lift the front of the bike by the frame and the front wheel doesn't swing freely to one side. Once I'm at that point, I undo the stem bolts - very important step - loosen the top bolt by 1/8 of a turn, tighten the stem bolts and do the check on the front wheel again. I repeat this until the front wheel swings to the side freely when I lift the front of the frame, which means the top bolt is as tight as it can be without being over-tight.

The other thing you might find is that your new stem has a different stack height to the old one. (This is the measurement from top to bottom of the clamp that attaches to the steerer tube.) I'd measure the stack height of your old stem before you go. If the new one is different, you'll probably need to buy a spacer or two to make it fit. The most common spacer sizes are 10mm, 5mm and 3mm, although you can get multiples of these sizes, such as 15mm, and it looks like you've currently got 3 10mm spacers on your bike.

When you take the top cap off, you'll notice that the steerer tube is a few millimetres lower than the top of the stem clamp. This is normal and correct, so you want to keep it the same when you put the new stem on.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
^^^^^
Wot she said (and wot I said in your other thread).

Only difference is Lulu knows the correct terminology - stack height.

02GF74

Über Member
one thing to add is that the stem may be hard to remove so insert a large flat bladed screwdriver in the between the gap where the bolt hols are and lever it apart and pull the stem off.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
@ lulubel

Thanks for a top class reply.

Have just got to Deal after a long day traveling and a trip to evancycles at Crawley from Gatwick airport on the way home.
I have just got a Ritchey 70mm /30 degree stem with some other stuff, so as soon as I arrive back home to Spain I shall fit the stem ( thursday hopefully )

Cheers..:smile:

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Just an update..
I've decided to get a workstand as well and the one I got was such a good price so just awaiting delivery Sat/Mon..ish

Top Bottom