Changing the cassette on a Frog 52

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
5yo will soon have a Frog 52 to upgrade him from a Cnoc 16, as he's almost outgrown it and the steering is getting a bit unstable when he gets a bit of speed up, which is more and more often.

But, he's already topping out the 30" gear on it, if not spinning out completely. The highest gear of the Frog is 54" and I really don't want him to top that out yet!

So first question - I'm assuming it takes a standard Shimano-style 8 speed cassette, there wouldn't be anything proprietary about the fitting?

And second question - going from an 11-32 to a 14-32 would probably do for now, so what are my options to buy a cassette in that combination? Do Shimano do one, or would Sunrace/Miche/Another be a better option?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Going from an 11-32 to a 14-32 would have him spinning out a lot sooner, unless you have got mixed up and actually intend replacing a 14-32 with a new 11-32?

If you are already running an 11T sprocket then the only option is to fit a larger chainring, but this has other implications. It will make the easiest climbing gear harder to turn and possibly lead to troubles when climbing or even run the risk of damaging young knees by pushing too big a gear on the climbs!!!

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Ah sorry, it's probably the way I phrased it - I don't want him achieving top speed on a 54" gear yet, 17mph as opposed to barely 9mph just now, his Jedi powers aren't good enough and he would end up face first on something hard!

So yes, options for buying a 14-32 8 speed cassette, I guess is what it boils down to.

edit - his old bike had 16" wheels and 25T chainring, the new one 20" wheels and 32T chainring, which would make the whole thing faster anyway.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Going from an 11-32 to a 14-32 would have him spinning out a lot sooner, unless you have got mixed up and actually intend replacing a 14-32 with a new 11-32?

If you are already running an 11T sprocket then the only option is to fit a larger chainring, but this has other implications. It will make the easiest climbing gear harder to turn and possibly lead to troubles when climbing or even run the risk of damaging young knees by pushing too big a gear on the climbs

I think daddy OP want him to spin out sooner /at a lower speed so he doesn't do himself mischief.

miche dont go below 9spd for shimano compatible.

a good old shimano CS-HG50 comes in 13-26

Last edited:
OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
A 13-26 might be a good shout if I can find one. If not I'll try tightening the cable to block off the two smaller cogs and keep the limit screw in place on the biggest cog - that way instead of having to deal with two loose clicks on his shifter he'll just encounter resistance when trying to shift past the biggest cog, essentially making it a 6 speed bike. Probably worth doing that before shelling out for a cassette anyway, I'm sure he'll be fine on it after a few weeks but I want him to get used to the bigger bike at reasonable speeds first. :smile:

I noticed quite a few 14-32 freewheel cassettes, is that just old stock on an outdated mounting system, and 14-32 isn't really made any more (for 7/8 speed anyway)?

Top Bottom