Changing the Stem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kelbel159

Regular
I've mentioned in a previous post that I'm struggling with the reach on my Carrera TDF. After following advice on here it is better but I still think that maybe I need a shorter stem. However, I have been told that this can affect the movement of the bike so isn't adviseable.
I don't know what size stem is on the bike so don't know what size I should be looking at, and should I be looking for the same make as is on there already?
Your thoughts?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Measure the stem from centre of the steerer to the centre of the bars then let us know what it is. You can vary the length to suit your requirements with no detrimental effects. Provided you get the correct size for the steerer and handlebar clamps you can use any make you like.

OP
OP
kelbel159

kelbel159

Regular
Measure the stem from centre of the steerer to the centre of the bars then let us know what it is. You can vary the length to suit your requirements with no detrimental effects. Provided you get the correct size for the steerer and handlebar clamps you can use any make you like.
Will try to remember to go and measure when I get home.
Thanks

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I've mentioned in a previous post that I'm struggling with the reach on my Carrera TDF. After following advice on here it is better but I still think that maybe I need a shorter stem. However, I have been told that this can affect the movement of the bike so isn't adviseable.
I don't know what size stem is on the bike so don't know what size I should be looking at, and should I be looking for the same make as is on there already?
Your thoughts?
A shorter stem may make the bike feel a bit twitchy on the steering but you soon get used to the feel of the shorter one. So not a problem.:okay:

lpretro1

Going shorter than 80 will make the bike feel very, very twitchy indeed and you shouldn't need to go that short on a road bike. Have you had your overall bike position checked - you might find you are on the wrong size frame. You need to get the saddle height & layback sorted before anyhting else - then think about stem lengths - get a proper bike fit done to be sure

OP
OP
kelbel159

kelbel159

Regular
20151102_183720.jpg
20151102_183630.jpg

These are 2 of the ones I took about a week ago when trying to sort the positioning of my seat.
The stem is now the other way up so bars a little higher and tilted upwards a little more

OP
OP
kelbel159

kelbel159

Regular
Going shorter than 80 will make the bike feel very, very twitchy indeed and you shouldn't need to go that short on a road bike. Have you had your overall bike position checked - you might find you are on the wrong size frame. You need to get the saddle height & layback sorted before anyhting else - then think about stem lengths - get a proper bike fit done to be sure
I tested a boardman before buying this which was same size frame so that should be ok.
A friend of mine who does loads with bikes has done a lot to help

C.J

Über Member
View attachment 110250 View attachment 110251
These are 2 of the ones I took about a week ago when trying to sort the positioning of my seat.
The stem is now the other way up so bars a little higher and tilted upwards a little more

You say in your other post that your seat is sorted. But i would say going by that second photo it could do with going back a bit.

That plumb line should not be on your toe, it should be roughly over the centre of pedal axle.

And you don't look to stretched out to me with that stem. I'm sure some one else will give another opinion shortly.

C.J.

OP
OP
kelbel159

kelbel159

Regular
Just rotate the bars a small amount, so that the ends go downwards and the levers towrds you a tad. For where I sit here it does not look too far out. I would look at changing the bars in the future for a pair of compacts, shallower drop.

http://www.petitebikefit.com/resources-2/the-right-size-handlebars/
When I look at the picture, and when my mate looked at me on the bike, it doesn't appear too far.....really strange that it just feels it.
I'm waiting for some spacers that I ordered for the brakes as I struggle to get a good reach on those, once they're fitted maybe I will feel happier

Top Bottom