Changing the Stem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
You could try a stem with a steeper angle, that will bring the bars a bit closer and higher. The size of bike and the reach actually look ok to me, but if you're new to road bikes it might take a bit of getting used to. Post a picture of the bike without you sitting on it, if anything the saddle could do with going forward a little as you look to be sitting behind the pedals.

DRM

Guru
In your previous post I wrote that on my Carerra Zelos I had swapped the stem from a 100 mm, to a 90 mm, however your frame looks smaller than mine, which is a large,so I think as you say it has a 90 mm already fitted, one other thing I did was to rotate the handlebars so that the brake hoods are closer to me, I would be wary about putting an even smaller stem on, from your pictures the reach doesn't look that bad, try rotating the bars and see how you go.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
upload_2015-11-17_21-0-10.png

Yup its hard to tell , i have tried to paint in the lines vertical but it could be out , i reckon he needs the saddle back, is the saddle all the way forward ?

lpretro1

Bit hard to tell as rider is not in cycling kit Looks very scrunched up to me - frame size just looks wrong. This person defo needs a proper bike fit to be done

OP
OP
kelbel159

kelbel159

Regular
You say in your other post that your seat is sorted. But i would say going by that second photo it could do with going back a bit.

That plumb line should not be on your toe, it should be roughly over the centre of pedal axle.

And you don't look to stretched out to me with that stem. I'm sure some one else will give another opinion shortly.

C.J.
Sorry, I've just realised that I did move the seat back after this photo because of what you have just said. I was using a YouTube video to set it all and the plumber now sits direct with my big toe joint......I thought I took another pic but I didn't, sorry.

OP
OP
kelbel159

kelbel159

Regular
Bit hard to tell as rider is not in cycling kit Looks very scrunched up to me - frame size just looks wrong. This person defo needs a proper bike fit to be done
Yea didn't really intend to share these pics lol, they were for my own benefit but when someone asked for pics it was easiest to send these than get the bike in and get changed.
It is a 46cm frame which is supposedly for 5'4" upwards and I am just over 5'4.5" so should be fine. Before I bought this I tested a friends boardman with the same size frame and was absolutely fine

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Size looks good to me as well. Certainly not too big. Try rotating bars back a little so that the hoods are moved towards you, and the area in front of the hoods is more or less horizontal, and the bottom part of the bars is pointing towards the hub of the back wheel.

how long have you had the bike and what did you have before?

are the handle bars too wide? they shouldn't be on a frame that size (if Halfords have fitted the correct width) if they are too wide, you may feel like you are reaching out a little which could make your shoulders ache.

as smoking joe says, it could be a matter of getting used to it. if you do adjust things, make little adjustments to start so you don't injury yourself.

best of luck

OP
OP
kelbel159

kelbel159

Regular
how long have you had the bike and what did you have before?

are the handle bars too wide? they shouldn't be on a frame that size (if Halfords have fitted the correct width) if they are too wide, you may feel like you are reaching out a little which could make your shoulders ache.

as smoking joe says, it could be a matter of getting used to it. if you do adjust things, make little adjustments to start so you don't injury yourself.

best of luck
I've had it about 4 weeks and had ano Apollo Hybrid before (which I still have).
It certainly doesn't feel like the bars are too wide but, to be honest, it's not something I've checked for

OP
OP
kelbel159

kelbel159

Regular
Size looks good to me as well. Certainly not too big. Try rotating bars back a little so that the hoods are moved towards you, and the area in front of the hoods is more or less horizontal, and the bottom part of the bars is pointing towards the hub of the back wheel.
I have made those sort of adjustments, again since taking these photos, but have been told it could now make my wrists hurt

I've had it about 4 weeks and had ano Apollo Hybrid before (which I still have).
It certainly doesn't feel like the bars are too wide but, to be honest, it's not something I've checked for

I may be wrong but the hybrid probably has flat bars, so the new hand position on the drops may feel weird and also employ the muscles in slightly different ways. you may also be taking more weight across the shoulders due to the change in riding posture.

I hope you get it sorted out.

OP
OP
kelbel159

kelbel159

Regular
I may be wrong but the hybrid probably has flat bars, so the new hand position on the drops may feel weird and also employ the muscles in slightly different ways. you may also be taking more weight across the shoulders due to the change in riding posture.

I hope you get it sorted out.
It does, yea

OP
OP
kelbel159

kelbel159

Regular
But does it? My wrists certainly don't. Small adjustments only.
Not yet but I've not done any long rides on it yet. Longest was 10 mile which was the first ride I did and the palm/pad of the thumb on my left hand was in agony.....not sure if the was from trying to reach brake levers properly but got spacers on order which will hopefully sort that.
Hoping to go for a long ride this weekend, weather dependent. I haven't really ridden in the dark so not getting any in during the week

Top Bottom