Changing the tyres on my CX

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

drhill77

Regular
After a bit of advice, I'm fairly new to riding a CX/Road/Gravel bike, I have a Boardman CX Team 2014 and i am currently running it on the standard knobbly tyres. When should I change these to slicks and what is the best tyre size to go for on these?

Thanks

MikeW-71

Veteran
If you're riding it only on the road, slicks will be better. You can change any time, either wait until the knobblies are worn out, or change them now so you can still use the knobblies for going off-road if needed.

Either 28mm or 32mm slicks should work well, on my CX I have 28mm Continental 4 Seasons.

I have 28mm Continental 4 Seasons

A good choice for road riding by all accounts.

I have 35mm Marathon Deluxe on my Boardman CX Team. More comfort and can cope with light off-roading no problem, but heavier and slower than the 4 Seasons I imagine. That's usually the width trade-off with whatever brand you decide to go for.

If you are mainly road riding I would suggest changing the knobblies asap and keeping them as a spare set for when you venture off the tarmac.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
I'm guessing that the standard tyres are 700x35 Schwalbe Rapid Robs? What you go for really depends on what sort of riding you do. I've just fitted 700x38 Specialized Trigger Pro's on to a CX bike and I'm pleased with the compromise. They'll never be as quick as 700x23 or 700x25 slicks but on poor rural roads, tracks and towpaths they roll quite nicely and I don't lose as many fillings.

Schwalbe have just launched the 700x34 G-one a gravel/road tyre which would be a bit of an upgrade for road riding while still being more useable than slicks if you go off-road at all. I'd have gone for them over the Trigger Pro's had they been available. For out and out road riding I go for Continental Gatorskins (25s or 23s) now that the Schwalbe Durano S has been discontinued. I find them to be a good mix of economy, speed and puncture protection.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Just swapped out my CX tyres for 25 Mich Pro4 endurance, not my first choice but these were kicking about the garage, so at some point in future will go for something in a 28 .

OP
OP
drhill77

drhill77

Regular
Thanks, just bought a set of 25 gatorskins as they were £10 off at Halfords plus got an extra 20% off as I got a C2W from there last year. Going to see how I get on. Thanks for all the advice.

Top Bottom