Changing to clipless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Holy Warrior

Sorry me again :sad:

When switching to proper shoes/ cleats/ pedals, what exactly do I need?

Do any shoes slot into any cleats which fit to certain pedals?

So for example, would these shoes fit to these cleats on these pedals? Is that how it works?

OP
OP
Holy Warrior

Holy Warrior

Scrap that, would these shoes and these be compatible?

OP
OP
Holy Warrior

Holy Warrior

Sorry Kestevan I read that when I had my thread moved over here, really sorry.

Thanks NormanD! Here I go clipless then, I must be taking my cycling seriously!

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Those shoes would be suitable for both types of pedals you have put links to. I also notice from the Chain Reaction site that they come in standard and wide fitting.
As far as I'm aware all clipless pedals come with cleats. All the pedals I've bought did.
Your first post shows M520 'SPD' pedals (which require 2 bolt cleats) and 'SPD Sl' cleats (which are 3 bolt).
I got some of these dhb R1's and M520's for the road bike but I'm thinking of going to onto these from EBC and I can keep the same shoes.

OP
OP
Holy Warrior

Holy Warrior

accountantpete

Brexiteer
If you look at the bottom of the sole you will see 3 holes in a triangular formation. They accept the screws for an spd-sl cleat as used by those pedals. So yup - the pedals will suit those shoes.

(The slots you see accept the spd type cleats btw.)

The 540's are good pedals but they weigh a ton compared with the more expensive versions and although you may be lucky I find that cheap shoes tend to be uncomfortable.

I have just made the transition :thumbsup: Opted for a pair of Speedplay frogs, and using a pair of Aldi/crane spd trainers.

doctornige

I have those shoes. They also accept Keo. They do indeed come in standard and wide fit, but wide is not that wide.

OP
OP
Holy Warrior

Holy Warrior

Ah I see the Triangle shape, thanks accountant pete!

Doctornige, you say you have these shoes, are they uncomfortable? They do have lots of good customer reviews on wiggle.

doctornige

Warrior, they are very comfy. I bought the wide fit knowing that Shimano can be narrow in the standard fit (Japanese!). They are well ventilated, so need an overshoe or bootie if riding at 5degC or less.

For a first shoe, there really is no need to spend more.

OP
OP
Holy Warrior

Holy Warrior

right they're all here and set up finally, stupid illness and essays blurgh!

Tried some static clipping and releasing, a little dodgy so far :P

It's probably just my technique so far but it feels a little jerky getting them back out. Bit concered that if I try it on the move the jerk will make me lose control! Any tips?

Top Bottom