Changing tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
So yesterday, at the last minute, I decided I’d take the wheel to work. Before I went in I blew it up to 70psi and left it in the car boot. Dinner time it had held, so I pumped it up to 90 (max on wall is 110)

Got home, went to boot and there’s zero pressure. Guess I’ve got a tube to throw away. I’m just glad I wasn’t in the car when it blew.....

So I got a new tube (read ‘old repaired’) and refitted.

This time I rotated the tyre on the rim by 180 degrees and gave the clincher profile a good dosing of talc. I wasn’t confident it’d hold. Infact the first time I inflated it I stopped, with about 30psi, inspected the fit and started again from scratch. But with the second fit, it held at 70. 10 mins later all was still OK, so it got more pressure. When I got a gauge on it was 115. It went back on the bike last night, still OK this morning and later it’ll have a go on the turbo.

Then I’m going to refit it.....

Just because it fit this time, doesn’t mean it’ll fit OK next time.

And next time could be out on the road.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Talc is good, it enables the tyre to settle correctly on the rim. With a sticky new tyre there's a danger that part of the tyre will hang up on the rim, leaving the opposite side insecure as you've found.

OP
OP
ChristinaJL

ChristinaJL

Well, the new tyres have arrived, so armed with talc (which the husband has to buy tonight, lol) I'll be trying to fit them again tomorrow morning. :biggrin:

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I’m not so concerned about that. What does bother me is the thought of being miles from home, replacing a tube and not being able to get the tyre to stay on the rim afterwards.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It helps to half-inflate the tyre then go around with two thumbs easing the sidewall away from the rim to ensure that the bead is properly seated all round.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Bingo Globalti!
don't know why, but that sentence might make all the difference. Bit of a change in mindset.
I've been trying to ensure that the tyre stayed on the rim by pushing the potential bulge back. But by working on the opposite side of the wheel it should have a better effect. I’ll bear it in mind later

Globalti

Legendary Member
Bingo Globalti!
don't know why, but that sentence might make all the difference. Bit of a change in mindset.
I've been trying to ensure that the tyre stayed on the rim by pushing the potential bulge back. But by working on the opposite side of the wheel it should have a better effect. I’ll bear it in mind later

*virtual bow* Glad to be of assistance. Years of bike fettling have taught be that little trick!

If you really want B&stard rim/tyre combo's try Fulcrum racing 5's and bontrager race lites, I lost count of the number of tubes I exploded! Scared the cack out of the nighbours!

OP
OP
ChristinaJL

ChristinaJL

Well, more trials with the replacement set of lugano tyres. Another big inner tube explosion in the garden. :angry: Exactly the same problem as the first faulty set of tyres, so these will be going back too! I know it's not me or the husband as I fit his kendra tyre back on his bike with no problems.

End result, I took the bike into my LBS and they double checked my wheels/rims/tapes and there is nothing wrong. The LBS couldn't fit the last pair of tyres either. So I got them to fit two new inner tubes and continental gatorskins whilst I was there and pump them up to 100psi. :whistle: Not buying tyres off the internet again though, and the new set were the same price in the LBS anyway. Hopefully no punctures now for ages and ages.

OP
OP
ChristinaJL

ChristinaJL

That's what I guessed re the gatorskins. From now on I'll pay a bit more for decent tyres. :biggrin: Going out on a ride this afternoon to test them out, they felt way faster riding back from the bike shop on Saturday morning. :thumbsup:

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Well I finally got to the point where I figured I’d have to trust them. Cycled into work this morning, without incident. It did highlight the difference between doing the commute on this bike with 700x23Cs and doing it on the hybrid hack bike, which has 26x1.95 slicks. This one gives much more ‘feeling’ back from the dodgy road surfaces round here. Nice reminder to keep those pressures up?

Top Bottom