Changing tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChristinaJL

I'm trying to teach myself a bit of bike maintenance and today I thought I'd install my new 700x23c tyres on the road bike. I'm a complete newb when it comes to fixing punctures etc, but can't seem to get the tyre to inflate without it bulging over the side of the rim. :blush: I checked the tyre was seated properly round the rim before starting to pump it up, but it still bulges. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Both the tyres/inner tubes are all new. Thanks.

C

chillyuk

Is the tyre coming off the rim near the valve. if so, before pumping up the tyre (tube!) unscrew the valve securing ring if fitted and push the valve up back into the tyre. You will feel when it locates properly, then just pull the valve back down again. Now pump it up. I am of course assuming that everything, wheel, tube and tyre are compatible sizes.

OP
OP
ChristinaJL

ChristinaJL

Is the tyre coming off the rim near the valve. if so, before pumping up the tyre (tube!) unscrew the valve securing ring if fitted and push the valve up back into the tyre. You will feel when it locates properly, then just pull the valve back down again. Now pump it up. I am of course assuming that everything, wheel, tube and tyre are compatible sizes.

It was on all different parts of the wheel, each time another place. :rolleyes: We finally managed to get the wheels on, but everytime I pump the tyres up to over 60psi it bulges out. I even took the bike to the LBS this morning and the same thing happened to them, so at least it's not just me. :biggrin: So, my husband finally got them to 80 on the front and 85psi on the back after much swearing, but I'm used to riding on 100psi. But to be honest, we had a bit of trouble with the armadillo tyres I had on it previously doing the same thing. Maybe it's something to do with the rims/rim tape?

Will the tyres ride in I wonder, as they're brand new this morning?

PS - yes all the tyres/wheels/inner tubes are compatible.

OP
OP
ChristinaJL

ChristinaJL

Although not answering your question directly - this might assist. Bicycle tutor

Thanks.

I think we were doing everything ok I think as I followed the SPA cycles video. It's not my husband either as he has no problems with our mountain bike/hybrid tyres just my road bike. :rolleyes:

I've got Schwalbe Lugano tyres as they were cheap, maybe I should've splashed out on something posher. We scared the neighbours by exploding a brand new inner tube though. :whistle:

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
If the beading or wire of the tyres doesn't quite look as if it's sitting properly inside the rim at the point where it bulges (I had a similar problem once where the tyre bulged in one place and looked twisted when I span the wheel) if you let the air out, put a tiny bit of washing up liquid on the beading and then pump it back up, the tyre should pop into position properly.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Thanks.

I've got Schwalbe Lugano tyres as they were cheap, maybe I should've splashed out on something posher.

I had them and they were fine for a cheap tyre .

Nothing more i can really add .

When i put a new inner tube in after i put the tyre on i go around the wheel checking it is seated on the rim properly and not trapping any inner tube by pushing the tyre in away from the rim .

OP
OP
ChristinaJL

ChristinaJL

I had them and they were fine for a cheap tyre.

I'll persevere with them then. Failing that I'll take the bike in for a service and get them to check the rims/tape as my armadillo tyres also had a tendency to bulge. Then they'll have to put the tyres back on instead of me. :whistle:

OP
OP
ChristinaJL

ChristinaJL

Just to update, I contacted the online company I got them from and they said they had a batch of faulty lugano tyres with the same problem so I had to return them and await replacements. Am now sadly roadbike less for the Easter hols till they send the tyres though. :sad:

Globalti

Legendary Member
DON'T use dishwash liquid; it makes a mess and it contains salt as a thickener. Use talc, Nature's best dry lubricant for sticky new rubber.

OP
OP
ChristinaJL

ChristinaJL

I'm hoping that a new set of the lugano tyres will solve my problems. If not, I'll try the talc. Or persuade my husband to let me buy some better quality tyres. :whistle:

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I'm in the same situation. I got a 700x23C Kenda K177 from CRC yesterday. I'm not a complete newb and have had to replace p****ered tubes, recently, at the roadside before - with this bike. Never had this problem before though.
First time I took it up to 100psi and a minute after refitting it to the bike realised the wheel wouldn't rotate. I saw the tyre had slipped off the rim and was only now being stopped by the presence of the chainstay. I deflated it and removed the wheel.
I didn't rotate the tyre in relation to the wheel, reinflated to about 50 psi, checked everything seated. Refitted to bike. inflated to 70. took for a 20 meter gentle ride. inflated to 100. I then wateched the tyre slowly bulge off the rim......
same position about 30 degrees from the valve.

What I have noticed is the clincher on the kenda doesn't seem to be as pronounced a feature as on the previous hutchinson tyre?

I'm tempted to get out some chalk to get reference positions on rim and tyre. Rotate the tyre on the rim and then go again. Essentially to sus if it's definitely the tyre as opposed to the rim. Only thing is, in the back of my mind I'm wondering "what if I'm 10 miles from home and I have to change the tube - will I get the same problem?"

As you have to pay the postage back to CRC(?) its hardly worth my bothering. If I prove it is the tyre I might as well bin it and fork out for something more expensive..

I'm going to keep following this thread, see if there's any more suggestions :sad:

OP
OP
ChristinaJL

ChristinaJL

It's a pain isn't it, gambette!! :sad: I was hoping to enter a sportive or two towards September/October time and now I'm not at all confident I'll be able to mend roadside puntures. :rolleyes:

Got an email today saying some new tyres would be on their way asap, so fingers crossed these ones are ok. If not they're going back and I'll take the bike to the LBS and get them to fit new tyres with the hope I don't have a puncture for another 3 years.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Once we get them on, just have to make sure we keep checking the pressure. The p*****s I've had have been when I've not checked for a week or two and I suspect slightly lowered pressure may have aided the event

Top Bottom