Changing Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Hi I know this should be an easy thing but Ive had issues with this on this bike. I was greeted upon getting up this morning with a semi flat tyre, my heart sank as changing tyres has been an issue for me. Got it done but not without a casualty, one snapped plastic tyre lever.

Ive been struggling with my tyres for a while and this has finally prodded me to sort it properly. They are INCREDIBLY difficult to get off, ie hammer time.

To replace the tyres that came with the bike I basically copied the size of the previous ones.

The current tyre is a Schwalbe Land Cruiser MTB Tyre (Black 26 x 1.90/2.00).

The rims are Specialized/Alex HRD 26" double wall disc rims. It actually says on them HRD, Double Wall, 559x22, 6061-T6, 26, if that helps at all.

I actually really like the Schwalbe land cruiser but the only other size I can find is 26 x 1.75 which I assume is smaller than the tyre I have.

Should I be struggling so much to remove them? Just getting the first tyre lever in snapped a plastic one this morning as a levered it out.

Thanks

Chris S

Legendary Member
I don't know about tyre removal but talcum powder will help you get them back in again.

potsy

Rambler
What levers are you using? Maybe you need something a bit tougher?
Not heard of those being a particularly difficult tyre to remove/re-fit :unsure:

OP
OP
Inertia

Inertia

I don't know about tyre removal but talcum powder will help you get them back in again.
Funnily enough they seem to snap back on fine but thanks :thumbsup:

What levers are you using? Maybe you need something a bit tougher?
Not heard of those being a particularly difficult tyre to remove/re-fit :unsure:
Had some Park Tools levers so they are pretty good ones, I think the tyres are too small, unfortunately they dont seem to do those tyres in a bigger size so Im considering these now

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-traffic-ii-urban-city-mtb-tyre/

Anyone got any experience of them?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Sprinkle talc liberally over the rim and tyre bead and marvel at how easy the job becomes.

OP
OP
Inertia

Inertia

Thanks for the replies guys, will take the advice on board. I AM starting at the valve but the tyres seems too tight even for a new tyre, which it isn't.

I'm going to order the next size up, I think the tyre is too small for the rim because although I CAN get it on its a lot of work. I don't want to think about how I would cope out on the road when I need to do an emergency inner tube change.

Thanks for the replies guys, will take the advice on board. I AM starting at the valve but the tyres seems too tight even for a new tyre, which it isn't.

I'm going to order the next size up, I think the tyre is too small for the rim because although I CAN get it on its a lot of work. I don't want to think about how I would cope out on the road when I need to do an emergency inner tube change.
Surprisingly when ever I've had a tyre that's a biatch to fit, in an emergency they have come on and off fast :wacko:

OP
OP
Inertia

Inertia

Now you mention it, one time I got a flat at night next to a canal in Liverpool, I fixed that in record time. :eek:

screenman

Legendary Member
I put the valve section on last, the reason being the valve will often not let the tyre bead sit in the well. To remove I squeeze the tyre all the way around to try and get it to drop into the wheel well, then remove from valve are first. Not sure if this is correct way but I have done it like this for 40 years and very seldom if ever use a lever to put a tyre back on.

screenman

Legendary Member
What total muppetry that video is, look at the toe strap with the metal buckle scratching that new rim. Started and finished in the wrong place as well.

Top Bottom