Changing wheels - new chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jsaipe

Über Member
I've fitted new wheels (for the warm weather) with a new cassette. Does that really mean I should fit a new chain? I might well interchange the wheels for a while and it would be a PITA to swap the chain each time.

FYI I have a KMC chain with a quick release, but the instructions say to only detach and reattach the chain 4 times.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Citius

Change the chain if it needs changing (ie if it is beyond its wear limit) - if it isn't, don't.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I would never run an old chain on a new cassette. There will be some wear on your current chain & will probably wear your cassette out quicker. It's not that bigger job to keep your current cassette on the new wheels if you want to run the chain a little longer

raleighnut

Legendary Member
For the sake of a tenner or so I'd fit a new chain, should work on both wheelsets as long as the cassette isn't worn on the old one and if you are lucky the indexing might be the same on both rears (my 531 Raleigh has 2 wheelsets one shod with Continental Grand Prix Supersonics which are great for a fast blast but hardly a day to day tyre and its normal wheels with heftier tyres and they swap easy-peasy)

I would never run an old chain on a new cassette. There will be some wear on your current chain & will probably wear your cassette out quicker. It's not that bigger job to keep your current cassette on the new wheels if you want to run the chain a little longer
A chain within spec i.e. no more than 0.5% elongation, will not damage a cassette. That's the way these things are engineered. Otherwise, the chain will start to damage the cassette the minute you start riding a new bike. Obviously, if you are unsure of your chain's status, a belt-and-braces approach would be to change the chain, but not as a matter of course.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Obviously, if you are unsure of your chain's status, a belt-and-braces approach would be to change the chain, but not as a matter of course.
'Belt & braces' that's me all the way :laugh: although I am getting better. I used to carry 2 spare tubes & a repair kit on every ride, now I just carry 1 tube, 2 on longer rides & 3 CO2 cartridges

Top Bottom