Channel to Med

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
I may get one of those. Really nice compromise between poly bag and full scale bag bike.
Sadly, only available from New Zealand.

yes I know.

It is very good but I am surprised that I couldn't find anything similar closer to home. Or that they don't sort out an agent this side of the planet.

It is also very easy to carry - I don't drive and managed to get a large wheeled case, a bag over one shoulder and this bikebag on my other shoulder across London by bus and train and out to Stansted no problems at all. You need to allow a bit of time to pack it though.

Not relevant to your trip but by the by, on the Tardis, I have read of folk who are flying back from the same airport as they arrived burying it and returning to collect it. Perfectly feasible because of its size - as long as you keep good records of where you put it :smile:

jurjan

Über Member
This year we used our Body Bags for the first time ( https://www.groundeffect.co.nz/products/body-bag-compact-bike-bag ).
This is a slightly larger bag than the Tardis, even so, my (admittedly large) bicycle just barely fit into the bag.

Since the only way to be sure is to buy one: as far as I know they are very reasonable about returning if your bike doesn't fit.
Please try the bags at home before flying, saves a lot of stress.

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

This year we used our Body Bags for the first time ( https://www.groundeffect.co.nz/products/body-bag-compact-bike-bag ).
This is a slightly larger bag than the Tardis, even so, my (admittedly large) bicycle just barely fit into the bag.

Since the only way to be sure is to buy one: as far as I know they are very reasonable about returning if your bike doesn't fit.
Please try the bags at home before flying, saves a lot of stress.
Thanks. They do sound great. Wonder what costs to get on to UK. I shall investigate

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

My Ground Effect Body bag arrived t'other day, so I'd though I'd post a couple of pics for those wot've not seen one.

Here's the bag, packed up in its storage bag.

DSC_0618.JPG

I had a dry run today. To pack the bag I needed to remove the front wheel, front pannier racks, handlebars and seat. Here's the bag filled.

DSC_0619.JPG

There's no padding, so I plan to use pipe insulation and bubble wrap. there's a small zipped pocket for the pedals (I didn't take them off today) and bolts.

The dimension fits within the spec for Jet2.

It cost me around £85, (159NZ) plus £25.24 custom charges, including an £8 handling charge. Delivery was less than 2 weeks from New Zealand.

John Peel

Just found this morning I can get a one-way car rental from home to Dover
Cheers all,
Geoff

A few weeks ago my world tour was cut short just 3 months in, and I was in Marseille at the time. I was really p#ssed off to say the least, but had no choice but to return to get it sorted because I was getting no support from KOGA. So I first called into a DHL courier depot but it was holiday Wednesday. They said they could have couriered by bike back to the UK but only if it was in a box that I would have to supply.

Being as the only transport I had was a knackered bike with a knackered Rohloff, I just limped my way to the airport and rented a Ford C-Max from the car rental company there and drove the whole way across France to Calais, the ferry, then another hire car from Dover to Liverpool. Hiring a car one way in the UK was £100 for the day, but in France they really get their arm in and charge crazy prices.

It was nearly £300 to hire a car one way for a day in France. I will be returning to Marseille to continue on with my tour in the new year. My bike is still in the workshop at the moment, so I pan to return at the end of Feb beginning of March. I'm undecided whether to fly out from Liverpool or hire cars again. At least with a car I know my bike will get there in one piece and it will be Cyprus after Turkey before I need to put the bike on a plane.

I think it will be cheaper for me to arrange all the car hiring from the UK. The road tolls and fuel of course add to the cost, and doing the Calais to Marseille in a day is tiring too. Others have told me to use a clear bag and not a box, as boxes get launched and bags are handled with more care because they can see whats in them. I don't know, I will look into that more. I'm just telling you this to give you an idea of options. All the best.

Top Bottom