Channel to Med

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
Take the front wheel off and cable tie it to the frame, put the seat post right down? I doubt they actually measure it at the airport anyway.
I understand what you're saying but they are implying there's no need. In any event, it's the bars that are too high, by about 5". I do appreciate your trying to help though Dave and, if necessary, I'm prepared to strip it down. May even bite the bullet and buy a proper bike box and have it shipped to hotel in Nice.

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

Apart from not going through the X ray machine - fortunately when it happened to me it was before they got all prissey about that sort of thing
Good point. And i'm the kinda guy who'd spend the entire trip worrying about it, hence my reply to Dave above.. Thank for the good point.

The Lone Rider

Geoff, I will be ferry both ways Santander on the return as Bilbao do not take cycles.
It’s a shame I only got couple of weeks prob stretch a little but the ferry back only runs on a Monday to carry bikes.

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

Just found this morning I can get a one-way car rental from home to Dover (including excess waiver) for £100. That's for something like a Ford Focus. So with a flight back from Nice with Jet2 for under £150, including a big bag and bike, the two together are less than the bike bus. Those arrangements seem to suit someone who worries like me. (I had wondered about the train but it would need at least two changes from home.) It'll get me to Calais for early evening and I'll treat myself to a hotel for the night before starting the ride next day. Unlike with the bike bus I can choose the day I go and the day I return. With the benefit of hindsight, my target of 35 miles per day suited me perfectly. I never suffered any aches or pains cos I had a rest every afternoon, having arrived at my chosen campsite by around 4pm at the latest on most days.

From feeling quite negative yesterday, i can now feel a plan coming together. I can even cope with stripping the bike down if I don't get a positive response from Jet2.

Just need a route. I need to try to absorb some of the info on that from contributors here so far. I do have an up to date Michelin road atlas so that helps with planning at home.

Thanks to all who've replied so far and, as ever, I'm open to any further advice.

Cheers all,
Geoff

U

User482

Just need a route. I need to try to absorb some of the info on that from contributors here so far. I do have an up to date Michelin road atlas so that helps with planning at home.
On that, I find that the road atlases aren't sufficiently large-scale to show all of the small back roads that are such a pleasure to ride in France. I recommend getting to grips with some route planning software (I use ridewithgps) as it allows you to zoom right in, show bike paths, and use Google streetview. I like to use streetview to check is a proposed route is really a road, or a rutted farmtrack, and how busy it's likely to be. Bear in mind that French "D" roads can be empty single lanes through to busy main roads, and if there's a way of deciphering which is which from the numbering system, I don't know it. If you don't want to use a GPS device you could copy your plotted routes by drawing them onto paper maps.

It really depends on what sort of depth of planning you are going to do
2000-1 France.jpg

This was the extent of my planning for 2000

If you are going to do the west coast starting in the west then - Get off the ferry - cycle south to the sea - keep it on the right till Bordeaux - straight on - follow the river/canal - after a week or more the Med heaves into view

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

On that, I find that the road atlases aren't sufficiently large-scale to show all of the small back roads that are such a pleasure to ride in France. I recommend getting to grips with some route planning software (I use ridewithgps) as it allows you to zoom right in, show bike paths, and use Google streetview. I like to use streetview to check is a proposed route is really a road, or a rutted farmtrack, and how busy it's likely to be. Bear in mind that French "D" roads can be empty single lanes through to busy main roads, and if there's a way of deciphering which is which from the numbering system, I don't know it. If you don't want to use a GPS device you could copy your plotted routes by drawing them onto paper maps.
Yes, all understood. I do use ridewithgps. And I do have a Garmin gps too. I also have Viewranger on my phone (used mainly for hillwalking/backpacking) so if I get some French mapping on there I'll have a back up. Thanks for the handy suggestion re streetview.

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

So, my next question is, can anyone suggest a not-too-challenging route from Calais to Nice, probably avoiding the hilliest country? All I'm looking for is an overview really. Say for example, Calais to St Omer then south to ?? Of course, if anyone has an actual gpx route that would be brilliant (he says, hopefully). Having done LEJOG I am capable of most things but I'd quite like this to be a relaxed journey. And I will be carrying all my camping gear.

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

If camping this is a useful site. I cross reference with the site's own website

http://www.camping-municipal.org

not certain it is updated any more as it refers to the death of the main man. Also I speak French. Not sure if in English and it is a bit clunky but really good info
Thank you. I speak passable French but my OH is fluent. Though she's not coming with me she's lots of help at home. I can always get by.

Top Bottom