Charge Mixer 2010 review

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew Wood

Have just bought three weeks ago a Charge Mixer 2010. I bought it because I wanted the strongest possible frame (roads in E London are terrible), hub gears and disc brakes. Also have a San Anselmo 2006 which is similar but I needed a second bike as the San Anselmo has been suffering a lot from the harsh roads where I live (although faults are mainly tire or component related not Marins fault)

So far it has been excellent and I am very glad that I purchased it but see my comments below;

Good
- although slightly heavier then my previous bike (steel frame versus aluminum) it feels very solid on the road and I do not notice the extra weight
- Alfine hub gear is excellent, only 8 gears but 95% of the time that is enough but I love being able to change gear whenever I want
- disc brakes - OK so far but I bought them in case one day I need a really safe stop in an emergency which touch wood so far has not happened
- riding the bike has been really good, solid, quick and stable
- all the components are from abroad but final manufacture is in UK which probably adds to the price but I was willing to pay

Negative
- potential theft magnet, I ordered in black as the steel colour was just too good looking but I have noticed people admiring the bike so it does stick out a bit so you will need good locks
- hand grips are very basic and provide very little cushioning
- be careful about the size, ordinarily I would have ordered a medium size based on my height 5ft 8/173 cm's but in the shop a medium was too big for me so I ordered a small which was fine.

How puncture resistant the tyres are I do not know but I will probably upgrade the tyres to a more puncture resistant model before I find out.

I summary an excellent bike and highly recommended if you are careful about the size and are OK with the slightly extra weight and price

Top Bottom