Inflexible shipping charges

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Just ordered a small plastic component (costing less than £2.00) for my ebike, which would easily fit inside a small padded envelope and be eligible for standard 2nd class postage. Instead the supplier is charging me £6.00 packing and delivery by courier (no faster than letter post), as is their policy for orders under £50.00. Very annoying.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Do they give free postage for orders over £50?

If so, that’s why you’re paying £6.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I suppose they justify it by saying it costs them time (and therefore money) to process the order, pack it, post it. And also a good way of making a product look cheap but raking in more money for the postage. I've seen similar stuff on ebay. A product is £10 with free postage, but another seller is doing the same product for £6 +£4p&p. It comes up as cheaper when you order by price.
Amazoon are crafty for doing this. My partner bought something for £4.99 on there with free delivery. She then found it on Temu for £1.99 + £2 p&p. All Amazoon do is import from CHina and are effectively a middle man who puts the price up. Whereas Temu (I think) ships directly from a Chinese warehouse

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

It's just galling when the item is so small - of course it may arrive in a large box wrapped in acres of bubble wrap :rolleyes:

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

you didn't have to buy it from them....

Of course not, but there are very few suppliers of this item, and all others I could find were more expensive, even allowing for cheaper carriage (and one EU supplier who no longer deals with the UK , post Brexit :cry:)

That CRC order of mine today is free (<£50), I don't mind paying though for postage on a order especially if they either use Royal Mail or a counter drop off. I won't have any none Royal Mail deliveries to home at all if I can help it, don't trust them.

Drago

Legendary Member
Perhaps don't buy it then if its going to cause you mental trauma?

PapaZita

Guru
You could buy 25, and then see if there are 24 more people willing to buy the excess widgets on eBay at a price + postage that works to everyone’s satisfaction.

Reactions: gbb

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
You could buy 25, and then see if there are 24 more people willing to buy the excess widgets on eBay at a price + postage that works to everyone’s satisfaction.

I once had to do that with some wallpaper border. Having seen it on display in a wallpaper shop, who said "I could have sold it twenty times over if I had any left" I went hunting. The only distributor was in the USA and I had to buy a case of it.

Fast-forward a few months and the room (back hallway, downstairs toilet) were decorated with the border. Un-needed rolls were sold off via eBay and I covered most of the full re-decoration cost.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

Perhaps don't buy it then if its going to cause you mental trauma?

It's bought. No choice. Essential component. No trauma.
Amazon prime gives free posting on a lot of items and I had a Wiggle subscription at one time which also gave free posting.

Not sold on Amazon. Anyway you have to pay 8.99 a month for a Prime subscription, after a free month's offer.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Thing is, shipping charges are up, and if you need a little part, it's no longer cheap to ship it. Retailers can't carry that cost, especially if a regular bike shop.

How much is a first class stamp now for a letter - I don't know, but the last time I checked I 'swore'.

Thing is, shipping charges are up, and if you need a little part, it's no longer cheap to ship it. Retailers can't carry that cost, especially if a regular bike shop.

How much is a first class stamp now for a letter - I don't know, but the last time I checked I 'swore'.

£1.50 I've been told, might be more I don't use that many stamps and normally pre pay online or at the counter.

Top Bottom