Charge plug 1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MoG

Veteran
Hi,

Still considering whether or not to buy a Charge Plug 1.
Has anyone ever ridden one off road? I dont mean anything heavier or more demanding than canal towpaths.

OP
OP
MoG

MoG

Veteran
Apologies for posting thread twice. Dont know how to delete?!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Haven't had any experience with that bike but my old Dawes 531 bike with drops handles the rough roads and tracks down here fine. I'd advise using min 28c tyres though, which I suspect it has already.

OP
OP
MoG

MoG

Veteran
Thanks for the replies.. Have bitten the bullet and started the cyclescheme process for a 2014 Plug 1. Just hope my 51 yr old legs are up to the 20 mile (one way) commute! It has 42 /16 gearing - does anyone know how suitable that is for the long hill up through Castle Donington?

Last edited:

GGJ

Veteran
42T-16 will be fine, it gives you a 69.1 gear inch, I run a 48T-18 giving me a 70.2 gear inch on my S/S and am a lot older than 51 and have never had to get off and push the bike up an incline yet

Dan87

Formerly fixieplugrider
i have the plug 2 which is pretty much the same bike. the 32 tyres are decent and i can imagine they will be fine on the canal paths.
the gearing is at a fair enough ratio too even for the untrained legs i had when i first got it. the bike overall is brilliant especially now with the "end of season" price drops. you wont be disappointed :smile:

Top Bottom