Charge saddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goody

Veteran
I like the old Charge spoon I used one for a Lands end to John O Groats after reading some rave reviews. The padding is quite firm and the rear of the saddle kicks up a bit which I like. The first one I bought was a smooth black one which has done about 5,000 miles it looks a bit well used now the top layer of the synthetic cover is worn around the edges, looks OK on the MTB though.
I replaced that one with a red perforated one which has now done about 3,000 miles still looks OK apart from some worn bits at the back following a crash. I have done 250 miles in one day on that with no comfort problems.
On my 'best' bike a Ribble carbon I had a Charge Knife similar shape to the Spoon just a bit slimmed down with Ti rails. I got on fine with it it feels more solid and flatter than the Spoon. I was getting a bit of lower back pain on that bike after about 80 miles and was looking at ways of smoothing out the ride and thought I'd try a charge Scoop. I bought the cheaper steel railed one. I looks nice with a smooth cover feels similar to the spoon with more a of a kick up at the back. I went out and did 160 miles on it yesterday and it didn't cause me any grief, it must absorb more bumps than the old Knife. Here's a picture of it on the bike;
20130902_155602.jpg

stumpy66

Veteran
I have the leather ti spoon as well as two other vinyl clad spoons and luv them all,had thought of the knife but the minimal padding put me off. Is that the sportive racing you have there?

OP
OP
goody

goody

Veteran
Is that the sportive racing you have there?
It is, been well pleased with it, had it a year and it's a great bike for what I bought it for, sportives and longish nice weather rides. I've done one 300K Audax and a what turned out to be an almost 24hr ride to Paris (london-dover-calais-paris) and for those I used my commuter because it's a little more comfortable (higher front end) and it has panniers.

I am on my second charge spoon after the original was on a bike that was stolen. I have the cheap chro mo one. I have done 2500miles on it in a couple of months, including a CTC in a day and London to Manchester in a day and not had any problems with it, no saddle soreness so far. I know saddles are a personal thing, but the Spoon seems to fit a lot of people and as they are only £20, its noy a big outlay to see if it is the saddle for you.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Well I got one and set it up with a spirit level and I have to say its promising. A bit of chafing on a 70 miler but not show stopping.

Edit: a spoon

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't get the Knife, the base snaps. I've had two do it and Potsy has had one. Charge didn't want to know, but good old Wiggle replaced/refunded.

icky

gone pedlin
I like the old Charge spoon I used one for a Lands end to John O Groats after reading some rave reviews. The padding is quite firm and the rear of the saddle kicks up a bit which I like. The first one I bought was a smooth black one which has done about 5,000 miles it looks a bit well used now the top layer of the synthetic cover is worn around the edges, looks OK on the MTB though.
I replaced that one with a red perforated one which has now done about 3,000 miles still looks OK apart from some worn bits at the back following a crash. I have done 250 miles in one day on that with no comfort problems.
On my 'best' bike a Ribble carbon I had a Charge Knife similar shape to the Spoon just a bit slimmed down with Ti rails. I got on fine with it it feels more solid and flatter than the Spoon. I was getting a bit of lower back pain on that bike after about 80 miles and was looking at ways of smoothing out the ride and thought I'd try a charge Scoop. I bought the cheaper steel railed one. I looks nice with a smooth cover feels similar to the spoon with more a of a kick up at the back. I went out and did 160 miles on it yesterday and it didn't cause me any grief, it must absorb more bumps than the old Knife. Here's a picture of it on the bike;
20130902_155602.jpg
I've upgraded to a spoon from the stock saddle that came on the careers and was most impressed . No sit bone ache even after a long ride :-)

silvervanplumberman

Über Member
Had a spoon as soon as it came out, have three now and have done 3500 miles on the old road bike. New ride came with Fi'zi:k Arione w/ Manganese Rails, did 60 miles on it and swapped it for the spoon. Far more comfy.

Top Bottom