Charge Spoon saddles...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Thanks for the heads-up :smile:

I've since done a bit more homework and it seems that the VO item changed in format some years ago from the original two-bolt with cylindrical nuts that allow you to adjust saddle attitude independently of fore-aft position to what I've seen referred to as the "hocky stick" setup where one affects the other.. which is a shame.

Tempted to try and find an early VO item but apparently they were subject to a recall due to the clamping plates cracking; which is perhaps why the design changed (although a couple of years seems to separate the recall and design change).

I'm also put off a little by the short length after having a frame killed by a post (well, shim) with a short amount of contact inside the frame. It's proving really bloody difficult to find a decent seatpost with a genuine, significant amount of layback and a decent adjustment mechanism.

It's interesting that you feel the need to move yourself back because of short legs, since my driver is long legs - perhaps there's some shared issue with thigh length or something.

You certainly have a (for me) terrifying amount of reach on that bike! Weren't out on it earlier around Oxford were you? I vaguely recall seeing someone on something of similar colours, but it escapes me as to where it was now..

Thanks - shape looks good; how are you finding it?

A fine choice of steed too - is that an aftermarket seatpost?
Yes carbon post , fabric scoop saddle , superstar elite 24 wheelset and upgraded brake clipers to tiagra
EDIT
changed the stem too as the stock bars have a very short reach so i had to add 20 mm to the stem to get the same reach as my winter bike

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Yes carbon post , fabric scoop saddle , superstar elite 24 wheelset and upgraded brake clipers to tiagra
EDIT
changed the stem too as the stock bars have a very short reach so i had to add 20 mm to the stem to get the same reach as my winter bike
Nice! I guess it's good how we can customise the gear to suit us; providing we can identify where changes need to be made. Funnily enough I had to reduce my stem length by 10mm as I was finding the reach a bit much; especially since I'm not particularly flexible and am most comfortable with the saddle pretty far back (thankfully the original seatpost has quite a lot of layback as standard as you probably remember).

I see you've dropped the bars a bit too - given my positive experiences on my Genesis (which has less reach at the tops but a lot more on the drops / hoods and a much higher stack) I'm considering fitting a longer, flipped stem to push things forward and lift them up a bit. Only problem with the compact bars (which ordinarily I like) is that this would push the tops forward as well, so might make this most relaxed position less accomodating..

Did you notice much difference in acceleration / comfort in changing the wheels? While mine remain round and in one piece I struggle to justify the cost in replacing any of them tbh!

Unsurprising that we agree on the brakes as the stock calipers are bloody awful aren't they? Mine were replaced with 5800 105 very quickly and are so much better for it :smile:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Its more acceleration and weight on hills , the one on their are listed around 1500g , the stock ones are ok but weighty .To be fair i am half considering putting my rs 11 wheels on to see the difference .

I found a saddle type that really suited me - the original Fizik Arione and that was a more affordable £70-odd. The problem was that they turned out to be fragile. The 'Wing-Flex' system which made the saddle more compliant also introduced stress risers from which cracks would start. I owned 2 Arione saddles which broke that way and read about lots of other people having the same problem.

The stock saddle on my CAAD was an Arione, and despite my bulk I've never had an issue with it, but you've done it now Colin haven't you? :laugh:

I have swapped about a fair bit with saddles TBH, but ultimately I always went back to the Arione and I've stuck with it for a long while now, but I'm off to the shed now to check the flexy bits for cracks 😬

I'll keep the Planet X one up my sleeve just in case :okay:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I sold the Fizik (Aliane?) that came on my brand new Kona commuter before I even sat on it. Replaced it with the 20,000 mile old Charge Spoon from my previous commuter.
Don't know if the Fizik was any good or not but knew for sure the Spoon was tested good for rides upto 185 miles in a day.

Top Bottom