Charging battery when away from home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sounds sensible drago.
I certainly don't mind a heavier bike.
(Once on a joyyful tour had a twonk in a bikeshop try to tell me my bike was too heavy and i sthould buy a new one)
Out of interest, what's yours?
And i"d be interested in what the OP"s is?

OP
OP
jann71

jann71

Veteran
Sounds sensible drago.
I certainly don't mind a heavier bike.
(Once on a joyyful tour had a twonk in a bikeshop try to tell me my bike was too heavy and i sthould buy a new one)
Out of interest, what's yours?
And i"d be interested in what the OP"s is?
Bergamont ehorizon 6 - Bosch

Drago

Legendary Member
Sounds sensible drago.
A phrase not heard very often in these parts! :hyper:

Ive a Carrera Subway electric. I had no say in it as it was a surprise anniversary gift from Mrs D. However, thorugh a combination of luck and reading around on her part, it is pretty reasonable to ride as a normal bike. Weighty, but it still rolls well so feels positive and fairly normal to ride without power. Indeed, rather than be sensible and shuffle through the different assistance levels as appropriate to the terrain, I'll oftenride the journey out with no assistance at all, and then ride the 10 or 15 miles home on max. Im not a sensible medium kinda guy.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It's fine on the flat or downhill, it's tough going uphill with no assistance.

How old is the Bergamont?

The Bosch motor with the small front ring has quite a bit of resistance unpowered.

The latest so-called Gen 4 Bosch motors have very little resistance unpowered.

Gen 4 motors have a traditional sized ring at the front and a smaller motor casing - it's almost hidden by the ring.

The difference between the two is large, so this is one of the rare occasions where it's worth having the latest thing, but only if you intend to ride unpowered.

OP
OP
jann71

jann71

Veteran
How old is the Bergamont?

The Bosch motor with the small front ring has quite a bit of resistance unpowered.

The latest so-called Gen 4 Bosch motors have very little resistance unpowered.

Gen 4 motors have a traditional sized ring at the front and a smaller motor casing - it's almost hidden by the ring.

The difference between the two is large, so this is one of the rare occasions where it's worth having the latest thing, but only if you intend to ride unpowered.
2 1/2 years old, just finished paying for it :laugh:

slowridr

Might be worth you getting a deep cycle leisure battery installed like camper vans do, maybe a solar panel on the roof too. Even a comparatively simple setup would be enough to charge a big ebike battery several times over.

CXRAndy

Guru
You need a 12v dc to 240v ac invertor rated at approximately 30-50W dc input power.

This will then allow you to plug in your battery charger to o/p 36/48Volts

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

I would be curious to know if this inverter would work.

Bosch bikes are famously 'locked down' and use relatively complicated CAN bus electronics.

There's a possibility the Bosch charger wouldn't like the low wattage AC outlet.

If so, you would be stuffed.

Worth a try for twenty quid.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
yep this is all sounding like a terrible fag.
If I was a Freudian, I'd think the OP doesn't really want to ride their bike because of some childhood trauma.
Would rather sit at home (or in a van) and twiddle with tech.

No more of a fag than the endless discussions about chains, gears, lights, tyres, and all the rest of it elsewhere on the forum.

Why should ebikers be denied some proper cycling faffage?

Not that plugging in an inverter could fairly be described as a fag or a faff.

Top Bottom