Charging battery when away from home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Fair comment mr rider, tho am still dubious.
Will follow with interest.
(By the by my most recent faffage will generate my own power as i ride, allowing longish periods off grid, and off the web)

CXRAndy

Guru
I would be curious to know if this inverter would work.

Bosch bikes are famously 'locked down' and use relatively complicated CAN bus electronics.

There's a possibility the Bosch charger wouldn't like the low wattage AC outlet.

If so, you would be stuffed.

Worth a try for twenty quid.

As long as there is a clean 230V AC supply and sufficient amperage, the Bosch charger won't be able to tell if its from a car battery/ booster pack or nuclear power plant:biggrin:

A check on the reviews of said AC inverter will help- or buy a better quality unit

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
As long as there is a clean 230V AC supply and sufficient amperage, the Bosch charger won't be able to tell if its from a car battery/ booster pack or nuclear power plant:biggrin:

A check on the reviews of said AC inverter will help- or buy a better quality unit

Very likely, but I've been running Bosch bikes for 10 years and I can tell you they don't always behave as you think they should.

I found something last night, Bosch did make a charger to plug into cigarette socket.

That's an odd one - it appears the 12v charger was only available for a year or so from 2015.

No reason for Bosch to drop it - if it worked perfectly.

Its short life might have had something to do with the picky CAN Bus electronics i referred to above.

Current charger range appears to be made up of three chargers, all with standard mains plugs.

https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/eBike-...pact-eBike-2A-Charger?sort=p.price&order=DESC

OP
OP
jann71

jann71

Veteran
Last question, I think I'm going to order an inverter and try it and see what happens.
Do you think it would make any different between using the compact charger, standard charger or the fast charger with an inverter?

CXRAndy

Guru
Last question, I think I'm going to order an inverter and try it and see what happens.
Do you think it would make any different between using the compact charger, standard charger or the fast charger with an inverter?

As long as the the inverter can supply enough power, then it will be fine.

eg 500W @ 230V AC is 13 Amps @ 36V

So it doesn't matter to the inverter.

Your battery will last longer the slower you charge it.

General rule is charge to 90% and try not let battery go below 20%. This will allow the battery to have double or triple the charge cycles compared to charging to maximum and running down to near flat

CXRAndy

Guru
According to the one you listed from Amazon. 150W that could supply 4amps continuous. So I'd buy a 2A Bosch charger to be well within capacity of the invertor and 12v cigar lighter socket.

Car batteries are around 70-100 Ampere hours, so have plenty of capacity to charge your bike battery at least once. If you drive around for a few hours it should recharge for another day. Or get a 2nd car battery/ even a solar panel to help charge your battery when out on your bike

Top Bottom