Charity bike build- late 80's steel restomod

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buzz22

Über Member
Some mates of mine started an annual charity ride called the "400 in 4", a ride that raises money for the Burns Unit of the Sydney Children's Hospital.

I've always wanted to participate but I'm hopeless at raising money so thought I'd put my hobby to good use and build them a bike.
When it's finished I'll donate it for auction or to raffle off to raise money for the cause.

The finished bike will also serve as my entry fee onto the ride which will take place next march.

This is my starting point- it's a 1989 Gemini Club 600. The gentleman I bought it from bought it new and has looked after it very well, so I was happy to pay a bit more than I was originally planning.
20220913_131634.jpg

A quick search shows it should be made with Tange tubing, although there's no indication on the frame that I can see.

It has a full Shimano 105 groupset with a 6 speed 18-13 cassette, Ukai wheels with brand new Vittoria tyres and overall it's in great condition.
20220913_131754.jpg

20220913_131643.jpg

As nice as it is the plan is to make it stand out and appeal to someone enough that they'll part with as much as possible.
The red and yellow colour scheme is a great start and ties in well with the Fire Brigade theme, winning so far!
20220912_193603.jpg

20220912_193742.jpg

I've bought a set of mint condition Mavic Kyrisium Equipe wheels to fit it, I think the more modern wheels are a nice look.
I also have an early 2000's Shimano 105 9 speed groupset with combined shifter/brake levers to fit to it. Hopefully the more modern driveline and dual pivot brakes will appeal.

As the build progresses I'll update this post, and I'm open to suggestions re a suitable seat, bar tape colour etc.

Thanks,
Buzz

Attachments

• 20220913_131634.jpg
    20220913_131634.jpg
    460.2 KB · Views: 4

Jameshow

Veteran
Very nice!

I doubt it's anything other than decent tubing with a 105 GS.

Keep the original wheels with the bike so the new owner has options?

OP
OP
B

buzz22

Über Member
Very nice!

I doubt it's anything other than decent tubing with a 105 GS.

Keep the original wheels with the bike so the new owner has options?

Given all the parts are in such good condition I'm thinking about using them to build another bike for myself with a frame more my size.
Riding the Gemini in the garage this morning was a nice trip down memory lane.
I had a Repco Nishiki Tri A with a similar set up (6 speed 18-13 and 42/52) many years ago but with Shimano 600 rather than 105.

OP
OP
B

buzz22

Über Member
That's a good old 'time trial' set of sprockets! It may be a screw on block, rather than a cassette.

Very nice bike/project.

It looks like it may be a uniglide cassette, I have a couple of spare ones with a slightly larger range of sprockets to make it a bit more friendly to my knees if I decide to use them on another project.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If the frame is too small for you I’d use the group set and wheels you have to build into a more suitable frame.
Keep the Gemini as is and auction it like that. A lot of interest in retro and vintage bikes right now So original condition is important, a shame to spoil that.
I can bet those Mavics will be on the scrap heap long before those on the Gemini :smile:

OP
OP
B

buzz22

Über Member
If the frame is too small for you I’d use the group set and wheels you have to build into a more suitable frame.
Keep the Gemini as is and auction it like that. A lot of interest in retro and vintage bikes right now So original condition is important, a shame to spoil that.
I can bet those Mavics will be on the scrap heap long before those on the Gemini :smile:

I'm running it by the committee to see what they think, the aim is to raise as much as possible.
I guess it depends on what they think will appeal to people- an original bike or an older frame with newer running gear. I'm loving both to be honest.

OP
OP
B

buzz22

Über Member
I've built this bike up in a few different configurations- the top photo is similar to the look I'm thinking of going with for the Gemini. Modern low spoke count wheels, combined brakes/shifters.
The bottom photo is more similar to the more original look with aero brake levers, down tube shifters and more traditional wheels.

Which one would appeal more to most people?
20220809_150617.jpg

20220514_141220.jpg

Top Bottom