Charity Cyclists - Research Questionnaire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kat27

Hi all,

This is a call for anyone who has participated in charity cycling events in the UK or knows others who have done so - I am currently undertaking some research on charity cyclist motivations as part of my undergraduate dissertation and require people to complete my questionnaire. The questionnaire should only take 5-8 minutes of your time. All responses will remain anonymous and confidential, and will only be used for the purpose of this study. If possible, please pass this onto family, friends or colleagues who have also participated in charity cycling events.

This link is: http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1509570/ebbfd1148d6e

Your responses are greatly appreciated and if you have any questions at all please let me know.

Thanks very much.
Katherine

LutherB

done

Ern1e

Über Member
Done.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Your questionnaire misses one important question IMHO, and that is....... If you could undertake this event without having to commit to a charity would you prefer to?

I hold a lot of resentment to charity's which have hijacked events like the London marathon, Ride100 and more with golden bond places and similar. I'm still regularly harassed by charity's I have run and ridden for in the past, asking me for donations and to raise more money.
Although I still give to my chosen charity's I will never ever undertake another charity event due to the incessant begging and harrasment which follows from my experience.

Last edited:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
done. Just one observation, in all of your statements, there isn't one that covers: I do it for the riding.
This, I suppose, has nothing to do with the OP's completely legitimate survey; nevertheless, I've been on Friday night rides and people in small towns we've gone through have asked questions about which charity we're doing it for. Now, sometimes, the refreshment break involves a bit of fundraising for charities or for the upkeep of the hall we're eating at, etc. But we're not doing it for charity and any funds raised are usually done so from refuelling - none of that industrial-scale fundraising - and the railways probably get more money than anybody else. Though admittedly I'm speaking for others, I think we're doing it for the ride and the camaraderie and the sheer eccentricity of it all. Personally, I cherish the moments when, eventually, we have the roads to ourselves, plus the sheer goodwill of it from all sides. I know Mr H above has done FNRttC rides, probably many more than I have, but I think he may understand this. The rides themselves cost, what, £17 per year....

e-rider

crappy member
done, seems slightly more useful than other undergrad surveys that have appeared on CC over the past few years!

although, from your avatar you appear to like cycling yourself, the questions you ask and the wording suggests a fairly basic understanding of cycling in general

OP
OP
Kat27

Kat27

done. Just one observation, in all of your statements, there isn't one that covers: I do it for the riding.
Thank you. I appreciate your comment and perhaps this is an additional statement that could have been added in. However, I have tried to gauge how important riding is to the respondents i.e. the statements asking about how strongly respondents feel about cycling, how strongly they consider themselves as cyclists etc. Thanks for your feedback though, it will be very beneficial to reflect on points like this during the analysis stage.

OP
OP
Kat27

Kat27

Your questionnaire misses one important question IMHO, and that is....... If you could undertake this event without having to commit to a charity would you prefer to?

I hold a lot of resentment to charity's which have hijacked events like the London marathon, Ride100 and more with golden bond places and similar. I'm still regularly harassed by charity's I have run and ridden for in the past, asking me for donations and to raise more money.
Although I still give to my chosen charity's I will never ever undertake another charity event due to the incessant begging and harrasment which follows from my experience.
Thanks very much for your feedback. Perhaps some charities need to become more innovative in the ways that they try to raise funds as by constantly nagging people is probably not the best way to go about it...The study however, primarily aims to identify the key motives, to help charitable organisations have a better understanding of why people participate and improve events in the future. Statements within the survey such as ‘I have strong feelings about fundraising’, ‘to support my chosen charity’ etc. are likely to give a strong indication as to how important (or unimportant) the fundraising element is to charity cycling event participants.

Top Bottom