Charity Food Parcels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landsurfer

Veteran
My daughter is on a low income and lives in supported / secure housing ... It’s a nice 3 bed semi but she has someone visit her 2 -3 times a week.
She was told she was eligible for a weekly food parcel, which she was thankful for and has been a help ....
Until this week .......
She’s not complaining ... just baffled ... We’ve found good homes for it ... ^_^

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
That’s got to be a mistake!
Who issues the food parcels, local council?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

That might be a hard question to answer.

When I emerged from hospital last year, two large boxes of food landed on the doorstep.

Fine, although I was unsteady on my feet so couldn't lift the boxes into the house.

Dealt with that, but another large box appeared a week later - I'd thought the first delivery was a one-off.

Finding out where the boxes were coming from (to stop them) involved a lot of phone calls.

In the end, I traced the supplier as the food industry company Brake Brothers.

Spoke to a pleasant woman there who told me the boxes were filled with whatever they had to hand, but they did try to give a usable variety.

Despite this, they had received a handful of complaints about there being the wrong type of cereal or baked beans, or moans about something not being included.

A fine example of looking a gift horse in the mouth.

The Brake Brothers lady also told me a sad story of an elderly woman who had rung up in tears after seeing local yobbos steal her box before she was able to get to it.

OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
That’s got to be a mistake!
I think it’s a local Christian charity .. there’s absolutely no complaints, usually there a good mix of basic veg, pasta and meat products ... but sometimes it does seem to go awry .. one week last month she had a catering pack of smoked mackerel , a catering pack of kippers and a whole melon ..😄 ..
We do swaps for her ....

stephec

Legendary Member
At least she'll hit her calorie target for the month, and all in one week as well. ^_^

If she doesn't like it I'd gladly do a swap for something she does. :hungry:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
OH dear, perhaps she could have done a swapsy with @gavroche for a more varied fare :smile:
Makes my mouth water. ^_^

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My situation was further complicated by being put on different distribution lists.

I was on the government's Covid food parcel list for the clinically extremely vulnerable, a scheme which I believe has now stopped.

I was also on a local health authority/local authority list for those who had just been released from hospital with my (non Covid) condition.

The latter was administered on their behalf by a charity, adding another organisation to the mix.

Not that I'm complaining, all were doing their best to assist me.

Happily, I didn't need the value of the items, but I was all but housebound at the time meaning I was incapable of doing food shopping, even though I had the money to pay for it.

That was sorted by another scheme which involved a volunteer doing my shopping for me.

Oh, and last Christmas I was given a Boxing Day meals on wheels Christmas lunch under another scheme run by Age Concern, which turned up with a carrier bag full of yet more free groceries.

Who'd have thought being ill would be so complicated?

Top Bottom