Charity rides too expensive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
Hi all,

As a newbie to cycling, one of the first things I did was look up some charity ride to enter. The London to Brighton ones and the Pru Ride London-Surrey.

I was gobsmacked at the minimum sponsorship levels. Anywhere from £150 to a whopping £550 for the Ride London - plus entry fee.

I contacted most to see if this was a target or an obligatory payment. BHF have confirmed it is not an obligatory amount and they are grateful for anything raised which to me is in keeping with a charity's nature. The rest have replied with blunt emails stating the full minimum is due and if it is expected not to be met then not to enter or risk having to pay the difference.

What does everyone think of this?
I think that these charities are trying to avoid people using the cycle events as 'cheap' sportives, which is exactly why charity bike rides became popular in the first place. the way it's going, charity events will soon lose popularity as they will be too expensive and the charity will lose out. The sportive market is also heading for a fall over the next 5 years with only the best events surviving, becasue 1. they are becoming far too expensive, and 2. a lot of the new sportive gang are the type of people that quickly move on to the next thing anyway.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Sometimes the suggested route is nothing like the shortest. I'll be riding the Ripon Canter next month (you riding again this year @vernon ?) which only has two controls, the start and a cafe in Ripon. The recommended return route is quite a bit longer (and hillier) than just going back the way you came, though it is also far more scenic :smile:

Yes. I'll be there. I suffered on the return leg a couple of years ago. Last year's return leg was slightly different and less lumpy.

Top Bottom