Charity rides too expensive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
No I expect you wouldn't.

Friend of mine who did the ride was nervous about doing it as she was new to cycling so she asked her husband to accompany her. She signed up, he didn't. Is that wrong?

In my opinion yes.

Variation on theme. I attempted to do London-Edinburgh-London in 2013 (as I have mentioned in CC a lot!). I knew that it was at the edge of what I could do, but despite dropping out 300km from the end, only just.

I had considered asking for charity sponsorship, with all money going to a good cause. Then saying that if I failed to finish, I would match (or perhaps double) the donations that were pledged. IE my friends paid no matter what, but I was vastly penalised for not finishing.

I suspect I gave all I could, and even if I had done this, I wouldn't have finished. And without it, I felt the eyes of my friends upon me.

But I do wonder what difference it might have made, and what good all that pain might have done a charity.

screenman

Legendary Member
Not surprising.

We can all have our own opinions. I was bought up with the rules that you never rode the circuit when an event was on, be it TT or a road race.

If the law says OK you can run that event but with say only 25,000 riders and 5,000 extra are on the road it can jeopardise the future of the event.

When I described it as a point of honour to ride L2B without paying BHF a penny, I meant it. The ride was a critical mass event which they stole for their commercial aims. I consider it to be a moral duty to steal a bit back.
This is new to me. I'd appreciate the story or link to the story (it must be out there).

Thanks

(I don't like mass rides. I won't be joining even if I find it is politically correct to do so :smile: )

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
We can all have our own opinions. I was bought up with the rules that you never rode the circuit when an event was on, be it TT or a road race.

If the law says OK you can run that event but with say only 25,000 riders and 5,000 extra are on the road it can jeopardise the future of the event.

It's not a circuit, a TT or a Road Race, it's the public highway..
And if BHF or the Police felt that the extra cyclists posed a jeopardy then they would close the roads. But they don't.

screenman

Legendary Member
When I described it as a point of honour to ride L2B without paying BHF a penny, I meant it. The ride was a critical mass event which they stole for their commercial aims. I consider it to be a moral duty to steal a bit back.

Morals and stealing, that is an odd pairing. I would just ride the course on a day that the event was not on. I do not feel it fair to those who paid.

same thing in my mind
Yeah, but it's not the same thing. A 50miles sportive costs £25, which you rightly feel to be extortionate. A 100km audax costs £6 - which I think most people would agree is fine.

screenman

Legendary Member
It's not a circuit, a TT or a Road Race, it's the public highway..
And if BHF or the Police felt that the extra cyclists posed a jeopardy then they would close the roads. But they don't.

They would ban the event before they shut the roads as it is cheaper. Sorry but it was instilled in me as cycling manners by the elders of the club's I belonged too. Without that history it may be hard to agree, it bothers me not one bit what you do. It bothers me a lot what I do though.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
They would ban the event before they shut the roads as it is cheaper. Sorry but it was instilled in me as cycling manners by the elders of the club's I belonged too. Without that history it may be hard to agree, it bothers me not one bit what you do. It bothers me a lot what I do though.

I don't do it. You are making assumptions.

snorri

Legendary Member
Then giving all different slices of it to profiteering peanuts.
These things are not charity! They are just a money making scam and the charity gets whatever is left over.
I don't think that is quite right, the charity would not employ an organisation to run an event unless the charity was to be assured of a certain return from that event.
I would imagine the organising body would be under contract to pay the charity an agreed amount by a fixed date following the event. It would be the organising body that would be left with "whatever is left over", and not the charity.

Top Bottom