Charity rides too expensive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

Ok so the whole large charity rides sound like a bit of a circus that maybe are best avoided. Totally different to how I naively imagined them to be. That's a shame.

I don't know if I've missed something here but this sounds laced with suspicion and cynicism. Let me explain. I'm new to the world of cycling, as is my wife. We wanted a target to train towards. If we could have an experience to remember and help a charity at the same time then everyone's a winner.
Sorry, that did sound a bit negative. Putting it a bit more clearly (I hope), I had trouble understanding why the first thing you did was to look at charity rides. And you've explained it quite well in your subsequent post, quoted above. Have fun, however you do it.

being a tight ar@e i dont understand this either and it also stops me entering Audax events for same reason why should i pay £25 to do a 50 mile ride
Sorry, this doesn't seem to be audax. They are usually between £5 and £10. I've lashed out £30 for one in may, but thats 600km with home cooked food all the way around and somewhere to sleep.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Sorry, this doesn't seem to be audax. They are usually between £5 and £10. I've lashed out £30 for one in may, but thats 600km with home cooked food all the way around and somewhere to sleep.

Event Details

Event Location – AJ Cycles, Bury Close, Higham Ferrers, NN10 8HQ

Routes – 25, 40 & 80 Miles (GPS device links available)

Parking – Free Parking within Bury close Ind estate

Registration – Opens 7.30am, Free tea & coffee available

Ride Start Time – 8.30-9am, 80 mile route followed by 40 & 25 mile

Feed Stations – 80 miles = 2 stations, 40 & 25 mile = 1 station, with drinks, gels, fruit & cake

Event Pricing – 80 mile = £25, 40 & 25 mile = £20

Tin Pot

Guru
My own experience raising money for charity through a bike ride was pretty disheartening, I started out feeling like I was helping needy children and ended feeling like a freeloader with a bill for my monthly salary that I couldn't afford to pay.

That was fifteen years ago, and with many friends who've worked in the charity industry I understand the need for it, but I can't say I like it. And every person phoning me to sign up a direct debit so they can "get their cut" makes me sick.

I would suggest entering a wiggle sportive event yourself, something £30-£60, and raising money for charity anyway. That way there is no pressure, no target , just charity.

Or, if you're feeling flush, make one big donation yourself to cover a charity entry entirely(!)

Good luck, and good luck with raising funds! Once you've made your decision you can forget all the negativity! :smile:

screenman

Legendary Member
Profit, Blimey that word upsets many on here. Does anyone know how much profit an organiser makes. If it is good why do some of you not do it as a business.

Tin Pot

Guru
Profit, Blimey that word upsets many on here. Does anyone know how much profit an organiser makes. If it is good why do some of you not do it as a business.

Profit is not a problem, profiting from charity is.

The finger is not pointed at the event organiser, it is the charity's decision to pay for places at an event.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Charity fundraising is an industrialised process, it does what it does to maximise it's returns, the economics of the charity ride makes sense to the fund raising organisation, it won't make sense to a club rider or Audax rider, it might appeal to people who have never considered a long ride before, people who are perhaps outside of the cultural norms of club /road/audax/sportive riding.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I can't agree with your assessment of the L2B.
I love it.
To be fair, I was pretty specific about it being what I've heard about L2B rather than experienced. You'll probably get similar comments when it comes closer this year, along with people working out how to cheat the system and ride it for free.

Still, nice to hear positive stories about it.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Event Details

Event Location – AJ Cycles, Bury Close, Higham Ferrers, NN10 8HQ

Routes – 25, 40 & 80 Miles (GPS device links available)

Parking – Free Parking within Bury close Ind estate

Registration – Opens 7.30am, Free tea & coffee available

Ride Start Time – 8.30-9am, 80 mile route followed by 40 & 25 mile

Feed Stations – 80 miles = 2 stations, 40 & 25 mile = 1 station, with drinks, gels, fruit & cake

Event Pricing – 80 mile = £25, 40 & 25 mile = £20

That's a Sportive not an Audax.

Edit: A TMN to @jefmcg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
To be fair, I was pretty specific about it being what I've heard about L2B rather than experienced. You'll probably get similar comments when it comes closer this year, along with people working out how to cheat the system and ride it for free.

Still, nice to hear positive stories about it.

Cheat the system?
Riding on open roads of which the L2B is sharing

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
For me that would feel wrong, which is why I would not do it.

No I expect you wouldn't.

Friend of mine who did the ride was nervous about doing it as she was new to cycling so she asked her husband to accompany her. She signed up, he didn't. Is that wrong?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Charity events do seem to be going up in price.

Some commercial ones, like the now-defunct Etape Pennines with a £63 entry fee, were nominally 'charity' but run by major for-profit organisations.

I did the GHS Memorial Ride (100/50 miles total, stop at Pocklington) last year - the fee? A massive £3.

Having done the BHF Night Ride and some others, along with the biggest sportives, I'm finding the audax scene better.

Top Bottom