Charity shops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirtyhanz2

Charity shops
I have found a bit hit and miss with cycling but I have found the odd bit of gold but today I think was my best 9 cracking books all in fabulous condition for £2 the lot
What’s everyone’s best charity shop find

D2628BF9-6296-478A-A117-B58C49B52661.jpeg

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
The Secret Race is a brilliant book, worth £2 on its own.

The David Millar one will be useful for a bit of warmth when you can't afford to turn the heating on.*

* I've not read it, I just don't like the nobber.

Petrichorwheels

a leather jacket bought for £7 which is my main off-duty attire when it's not too hot.
zips up as well so good for winter.
tech cycling layers keep me snug under it.
A bag I usually use started to degrade it/rub off the colour after a while so it started to look shabby/ready for the knackers yard, but I restored it with some stuff I bought online. That wasn't exactly cheap but am confident that with that it will now see me out.
A sad bit of me welcomes the end of summer so I can get back to wearing it.
Sadly many charity shops aren't the bargain fests they used to be.
Charity folk have got sussed.
I do also have a very nice pretty much new burberry raincoat I picked up from a charity shop which was canny enough to put its better finds in the window with a date marked when they would be offered for sale. Close to me, so I queued. Still a bargain.

Several jigsaws to entertain us during lockdown. £1 or £2 each.

A nice office chair for £5. (Our daughter was living with us and working from home during part of lockdown, and we only had dining chairs for her to sit on at her work desk).

My most recent purchase was a really good quality microphone stand for £15. I only usually sing at local folk nights "unplugged", but I just couldn't leave it in the shop......

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Good score :biggrin:

I've really appreciated charity shops over the past year - both as a conscience-neutral means of getting rid of a lot of the crap that's accumulated in the house over the last 40yrs, as well as a source of decent, tolerably-priced clothing.

On paper probably my best score was a nice orange Finisterre merino wool base layer for £5 - a garment and colour I'd been considering for some time for use on the bike, but not at the £60 they are new..

Last edited:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I got a beautiful all wool overcoat for about 30 pounds.
Some time later I was going to a wedding and was wearing it. We had turned up a little early for the wedding so went to a cafe for coffee and cake. I heard the serving girl ask as she left the kitchen "who is this for?". The answer was "the glamorous couple on the right"! That was me, my coat, (and my wife)! :laugh::laugh:
Charity shops are great IMO.

Cerdic

Several jigsaws to entertain us during lockdown. £1 or £2 each.

A nice office chair for £5. (Our daughter was living with us and working from home during part of lockdown, and we only had dining chairs for her to sit on at her work desk).

My most recent purchase was a really good quality microphone stand for £15. I only usually sing at local folk nights "unplugged", but I just couldn't leave it in the shop......

Jigsaws sound a bargain. Did you have to buy new blades…?

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
I love charity shops. I almost exclusively only buy second hand and as I would rather go for a bike ride on a Sunday morning car boots are out so Charity shops are my favourite places.

There is a Banardos in Manchester which often gets big donations of sample stock, I've had some great bargains from there. I got three Rohan coats last year including a very warm down style jacket, think they where £10 each.

I got a really heavy duty tripod earlier this year for £8 this thing is huge and to buy new it would cost north of £500. I'm not a photographer but I use it to put up temporary masts in the garden for antennas.

IMG_20220113_131754.jpg

Some years ago I was volunteering at our local Vinnies (Oz term for St Vincent de Paul) and the manager asked me to search a site that sold secondhand books to establish the market price for some of the book donations that had been received.

Last edited:
Top Bottom