Charnock Richard rip-off E5 pricing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
2 petrol stations in merthyr.....diesel in the one is 186.9 in the other only 100yds away is 195.9

Presumably that is Asda (cheap) and on the main A465 (expensive).

When we lived in (or rather just outside) Merthyr, I only ever bought diesel from the A465 one when Asda had none. But a lot of passing traffic on the A465 wouldn't even know about Asda.

If I was going East past Abergavenny and had enough to get that far, it was quite often cheaper to get it from Waitrose in Abergavenny than in either Merthyr place.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Presumably that is Asda (cheap) and on the main A465 (expensive).

When we lived in (or rather just outside) Merthyr, I only ever bought diesel from the A465 one when Asda had none. But a lot of passing traffic on the A465 wouldn't even know about Asda.

If I was going East past Abergavenny and had enough to get that far, it was quite often cheaper to get it from Waitrose in Abergavenny than in either Merthyr place.

Even though there is a Big massive asda sign just above the road??

gbb

Legendary Member
The one thing you realise when reading forums like this...is many assume (incorrectly) the world should...and does, think like they do.
Why question 'only' putting £40 in
It's what I did, no reason other than it was all I needed, I put my fuel In weekly, its what I do.
Paying extortionate prices at motorway stops ?...as a contributor quite rightly said, if someone can't, or isn't bothered, then let them pay, doesn't make any difference to me.
Changing (or not) tyres yourself...I would do everything I could to do it safely, but that's me, some won't...makes no difference to me.
Crikey, we are a judgemental lot :laugh:...sometimes I am too, pays to remind yourself once in a while, keep it in check.:okay:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Paying extortionate prices at motorway stops ?...as a contributor quite rightly said, if someone can't, or isn't bothered, then let them pay, doesn't make any difference to me.

Only thing is, if there are enough mugs willing to pay over the odds, then they're not likely to drop their prices. Meaning the rest of us have to make some effort to find fuel at normal prices. So it does affect us, indirectly.

Alex321

Veteran
The one thing you realise when reading forums like this...is many assume (incorrectly) the world should...and does, think like they do.
Why question 'only' putting £40 in
It's what I did, no reason other than it was all I needed, I put my fuel In weekly, its what I do.
I only questioned it because it is what you were basing it not being worth traveling 5 miles for, when I don't think many only top up by that amount. No judgement intended either.

Not worth it for you, on that basis, but still worth it for many.

Reactions: gbb

DRM

Guru
That is suicidal. You're not even supposed to sit in the car while on the hard shoulder. Have you never noticed groups of people standing on the other side of the barrier next to a broken down car? And as pointed out above, it is contrary to the advice in the highway code.

Motorways apart though, I would agree it is a good idea to be able to change a wheel or use one of these seal and inflate kits found in many cars these days instead of a spare wheel. This IS taught by instructors, as it can be one of the "show me/tell me" questions in the test. But only relevant to the test car, which is fair enough.

Your right about that, people I know who have to attend motorway breakdowns have to do special training with regard to safely stopping on the hard shoulder, and deal with the breakdown, and get to see gruesome videos of what it looks like when other drivers don’t pay attention and hit the recovery vehicle, as for attempting to change a wheel on a smart motorway, forget it that’s definitely a job for those with no will to live, also not every new car comes with a spare wheel, lots come with a compressor and a bottle of sealant.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Your right about that, people I know who have to attend motorway breakdowns have to do special training with regard to safely stopping on the hard shoulder, and deal with the breakdown, and get to see gruesome videos of what it looks like when other drivers don’t pay attention and hit the recovery vehicle, as for attempting to change a wheel on a smart motorway, forget it that’s definitely a job for those with no will to live

agree I once changed a wheel on a colleagues car I was driving, on the hard shoulder of the M25, luckily it was a passenger side wheel. Still effing scary and I wish i'd never started but it was late at night. My colleague was a bit pissed and I was worried he would wander onto carriage way as he was insisting on "helping". Never again.

It can also be difficult getting wheel nuts off too with a standard wrench if some lunatic has overtightened them with the mechanical gun thingy.

DRM

Guru
agree I once changed a wheel on a colleagues car I was driving, on the hard shoulder of the M25, luckily it was a passenger side wheel. Still effing scary and I wish i'd never started but it was late at night. My colleague was a bit pissed and I was worried he would wander onto carriage way as he was insisting on "helping". Never again.

It can also be difficult getting wheel nuts off too with a standard wrench if some lunatic has overtightened them with the mechanical gun thingy.

Agree with that, I had a flat on a Transit Connect, just raising a loaded van with the Jack that Ford supply was a nightmare, and it wobbled alarmingly whilst up in the air, at least I could stick some blocks under it as we carry them, the wheel nuts had been put on with the windy gun, luckily I had the tools to be able to extend the supplied wheel nut spanner, then found out that the wheel was rusted on to the hub, took a few blows with a lump hammer to get it off laid on the floor, luckily it was in the car park at a job, I was truly thankful it wasn’t on the motorway

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I would hazard a guess that 'most' drivers are clueless about the operation of a car, they have been far too sanitised these days, as part of the driving test the applicant should have be taken to some random car in the car park, supplied by the test station (changed on a regular basis), they should then have to change a wheel or at least check the tyre pressure on each wheel (& adjust if appropriate), check the oil level, confirm the cooling system water level is at the appropriate level, fill up the windscreen fluid level. Only after they have done this should the practical take place.

I know how to do two of those things (tyre pressure and screen wash). Do I pass? ;)

ExBrit

Über Member
OMG I just did the math and £2.06 per liter is about $9 per US gallon (depending on if Sunak pulls a Truss or not). I thought $5.50 - $5.75 was bad, which is what I'm paying in California. For sure worth driving a bit further to get a better price.

<rant>I remember when gas was 4/- a gallon and you got stamps, and prime ministers stuck around to the end of their term and sometimes a second one</rant> :wacko:

Top Bottom