Charnock Richard rip-off E5 pricing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Motorway fuel is always dear. Captive audience.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Probably, since I can't get 99 Ron in E10 and the old V70R along with the Capri needs it to run nicely. Don't do enough miles to worry about it though.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I was down south last week, and drove back north on Monday 17th. Couldn't believe motorway services fuel prices. No idea what E5 cost, but at Southwaite services south of Carlisle on the M6, the standard E10 stuff was 193.9 pence per litre. By way of comparison, I fuelled up in Warrington for 159.9 ppl..

Meanwhile at Southwaite, some people were actually buying fuel. I just wanted to go and ask them why they were willing to line the pockets of these greedy people, and to give them a map which would show several petrol stations within a mile or 2 of the junctions on the northbound M6 on which they were heading, where they could save over 30 pence on every litre. Madness.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Motorway fuel is always dear. Captive audience.

Not if you know where to look :okay:.
Satnav or google maps is all you need. They are never far from motorway junctions, sometimes even handier than going into horrible over crowded service areas. M6 junction 23, for example. Shell station at the roundabout off the slip road, with normally priced fuel.

Buying fuel at extortionate prices at motorway services is laziness or poor planning, or both. Or having more money than sense. Or someone else is paying for it!!

D

Deleted member 26715

Saw it this morning at 2 Jet stations probably less then 5 miles apart as per Mr Crow, 4ppl difference, we have 2 Tesco stations both about 5 miles in different directions, always 2ppl difference.

gbb

Legendary Member
Saw it this morning at 2 Jet stations probably less then 5 miles apart as per Mr Crow, 4ppl difference, we have 2 Tesco stations both about 5 miles in different directions, always 2ppl difference.

I always assume the price difference can be as tanks are replenished so the new rate applies. Or so many garages appear to be independently managed they effectively set their own price.
As an aside, my local station 1.63 Ltr (E10)
Cheapest in Pboro is 1,57 ltr...but its 6 miles away.
So if I put in £40...if I went to the cheapest, just 6 miles away...

1,57 = 25 ltrs
1.63 = 24.5 Ltr....1/2 litre will maybe get me 5 miles

Its not even worth travelling a short distance to get cheaper fuel, 5p seems a lot cheaper but its irrelevant in the bigger scheme of things

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

We have a Costco but it's 20 miles away, it can be up to 10ppl cheaper, but unless we are going that way for a specific purpose it's just not worth the extra time & cost.

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Buying fuel at extortionate prices at motorway services is laziness or poor planning, or both.

You haven't mentioned the 'investigating the horrible rattling noise in the dash area necessitating a stop at a service station to see what's going on and, sod it, whilst here we may as well fill up' scenario. 😁

Turns out it was one of those sycamore helicopter thingys that had got lodged in the wiper tray and was rattling about demonically. 😊

D

Deleted member 26715

Buying fuel at extortionate prices at motorway services is laziness or poor planning, or both. Or having more money than sense. Or someone else is paying for it!!
I hope you're not suggesting people use their phones on the motorway just to try to save a few pence on fuel?

Brandane

Legendary Member
I hope you're not suggesting people use their phones on the motorway just to try to save a few pence on fuel?

No. It's not beyond the abilities of most drivers to have a rough idea of where they are going to be when they need to fuel up, without leaving it until they are running on fumes. As previously posted; planning!

In any case, a few pence? If we're talking a price differential of 30 ppl., and you need 30 or 40 litres for topping up a smallish car, that's £9 to £12 difference.

As an ex trucker who used to need about 300 litres at a time, albeit on a company card, you're looking at upwards of £90...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

As previously posted; planning!
Never going to happen, most will have no idea they need any fuel until the red/yellow light comes on the dash, it will then take them at least another 20 miles, 2 phone calls & a couple of FB posts later along with a image on instagram before they realise what it is.

Brandane

Legendary Member
most will have no idea they need any fuel

I certainly hope it's not "most"! They shouldn't be driving a car if they are so clueless about it's operation. But if that's the case, let them use motorway services and they can pay the price for their stupidity :smile:.

Reactions: gbb
D

Deleted member 26715

They shouldn't be driving a car if they are so clueless about it's operation.
I would hazard a guess that 'most' drivers are clueless about the operation of a car, they have been far too sanitised these days, as part of the driving test the applicant should have be taken to some random car in the car park, supplied by the test station (changed on a regular basis), they should then have to change a wheel or at least check the tyre pressure on each wheel (& adjust if appropriate), check the oil level, confirm the cooling system water level is at the appropriate level, fill up the windscreen fluid level. Only after they have done this should the practical take place.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I would hazard a guess that 'most' drivers are clueless about the operation of a car, they have been far too sanitised these days, as part of the driving test the applicant should have be taken to some random car in the car park, supplied by the test station (changed on a regular basis), they should then have to change a wheel or at least check the tyre pressure on each wheel (& adjust if appropriate), check the oil level, confirm the cooling system water level is at the appropriate level, fill up the windscreen fluid level. Only after they have done this should the practical take place.

Most of this has been part of the standard driving test, for about 20 years now to my knowledge.

Edit to add.... link

Last edited:
Top Bottom