Chat Zone for The Big Big Trip Journal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cwskas

Über Member
They use their whole face to smile here, not just their mouths. Eyes light up and twinkle just as brightly as the mouths. There's a depth and genuineness (if that's even a word!) that I think is wonderful. It is certainly inspiring and motivational.

So well put. I had the good fortune to spend a lot of time in Mexico earlier in my life and that is exactly how I remember it. I can see their faces as you write!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@HobbesOnTour I only discovered your thread a few days ago. I'm busy catching up and thoroughly enjoying the read. You make this reader feel as though he is on the trip.

Thanks and good luck.

CharlesF

Guru
Glad you are back in the saddle, I have an interesting read to look forward to! I am mighty impressed with you riding in that heat, much harder than hill climbing. As always your photos bring everything to life.

I've made a small change and totted up as best I can the cumulative kilometerage (?) to date.
I'll keep that up to date from now on as well. It's handy for keeping track of maintenance.

cwskas

Über Member
Really enjoyed your posts about Tequila. I drove the quota one weekend from Guadalajara to Mazatlan and then back. My companions and I all enjoyed the scenery and it brings back good memories. We arrived back in Guadalajara very late (passed through Tequila around sunset) on Sunday night and I remember being a bit anxious about the 'don't be out after dark' warnings.

We had no issues. However, when we got up the next day, there were stories on the front page of the newspaper about a roadblock that had been set up on that very road from Tequila to Guadalajara the night before, all cars were stopped and the passengers robbed!

I do not remember the name (it quite likely would not be the same I suppose), but there was an Argentinian steak house in Guadalajara which had the best steak I have ever eaten. Just food for thought, if you haven't left Guadalajara yet.

..., when we got up the next day, there were stories on the front page of the newspaper about a roadblock that had been set up on that very road from Tequila to Guadalajara the night before, all cars were stopped and the passengers robbed!

I do not remember the name (it quite likely would not be the same I suppose), but there was an Argentinian steak house in Guadalajara which had the best steak I have ever eaten. Just food for thought, if you haven't left Guadalajara yet.

Using the iOverlander app there are regular points marked where people were stopped for "donations" and other places where people were run off from stealth camping spots by armed men.

It has been explained to me that the Government hasn't always been fair in dealings over land for Government projects so locals sometimes seek redress in their own way - as in the unofficial tolls.

Also, the cartels are now involved in far more than drugs. Fuel & illegal logging are also big business. I haven't put it in a post yet but I have seen trucks being tailed by armed guys in "private security" vehicles. I can only assume they are a guard detail.

Even in Guadalajara there are heavily armed private security guards on some of the fancier department stores.

It's important to be aware of the risks and dangers, but at the same time not be overpowered by fears.

I'll wait for Argentina for an Argentinian steak 😊

netman

Veteran
"One of the greatest things about travelling on a bike is that it can be so easy to simply exist in the moment. I think it's incredibly healthy not to be thinking of the past or the future, just concentrating on making the best of now. It took a while for me to learn that and it's not always easy to stay in the moment, especially after a lifetime of constantly looking forwards or behind."

Very nicely said, and something we'd all do well to remember... your travelogue just keeps getting better and better! Thanks for the inspiration :notworthy:

"One of the greatest things about travelling on a bike is that it can be so easy to simply exist in the moment. I think it's incredibly healthy not to be thinking of the past or the future, just concentrating on making the best of now. It took a while for me to learn that and it's not always easy to stay in the moment, especially after a lifetime of constantly looking forwards or behind."

Very nicely said, and something we'd all do well to remember... your travelogue just keeps getting better and better! Thanks for the inspiration :notworthy:
Thank you 😊

CharlesF

Guru

Well said, I completely agree.

Loved your post on the contented couple in the restaurant and the wonderful pic of the carousel in the playground hobbes, but my darkside also calls, so
≥≥≥Some of the churches can have some quite horrific statues!

Any chances of some pics?

Top Bottom