Chat Zone for The Big Big Trip Journal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wasn't really questioning my Irishness. I do recall a few years ago considering applying for a Dutch passport (they allow you to have two!) but quickly gave up on that idea when I realised I'd have to surrender my Irish one.

A little bit of history and a bit of travel soon educates us that our current "nationalities" are pretty modern concepts and a lot derived from lines drawn on a map.

From my own area of interest, there are often debates about the origins of whisk(e)y - Ireland or Scotland. Back in the day there was constant, seasonal migration from Northern Ireland to Scotland and vice versa. Our "modern" concept of these two nations don't easily process that. It has to be one or the other.

Then throw in ideas that are propogated for other means and the whole thing gets very, very complicated.
Again, staying with whiskey, it is commonly thought a significant difference between Irish & Scotch is in the number of distillations (Ireland 3, Scotland 2), or the ingredients used (only barley in Scotland, a mix of grains in Ireland). But that's simply not true, historically, and is often used as a marketing advantage these days. Imagine what cunning political leaders could do manipulating ideas of nationality, nationhood and sovereignty?

Until relatively recently, Germany as a nation did not exist. There were people who spoke German in lots of independent states, provinces & cities. Today, not all German speakers are German! They are Italians or Belgians or even French!!
And look at Belgium! Split between a Dutch & French side. And that split is real and tangible!

We are what we are by an accident of birth. It's good to know where we came from because that's history and history is very important.

A little bit of history and a bit of travel soon educates us that our current "nationalities" are pretty modern concepts and a lot derived from lines drawn on a map.
How true!

At some stage, I think you would enjoy this book.

I've been laying low the past couple of days. Still not feeling 100% and in no real rush to be moving south.

The situation in Mexico wrt CV seems pretty relaxed, although I believe they are closing schools. Further south the situation is more serious with borders closed to foreigners and some countries on lockdown - Peru has a nightly curfew.

From what I can glean a lot of potential tourists have cancelled trips, others are returning early and some are staying put - literally hunkering down for a month or so.

There is a lot of confusion, it seems.

The biggest risk that I can see is if a lockdown situation kicks in and I can't find a suitable place to stay. Even though I'm out of Europe since September, my passport is European and that is causing problems for other travellers.

In the big scheme of things my issues are tiny and insignificant. There are far more serious situations and many people have a lot of genuine worries.

Take care of yourselves and each other!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@HobbesOnTour I've been thinking about you.
You might not be able to come back to the Netherlands for a good while, I think most flights to Europe are now grounded.
The important thing to to stay healthy.
Best way to do that is by keeping 2 meters distance from any human being, don't fall off your bike, don't get any non corona virus related illnesses.
Looks like you're going to explore Mexico in depth, your Spanish will be flawless by the time you can return.
Ride safe and keep us updated.
Have you got enough money to keep going for another few months?

@HobbesOnTour I've been thinking about you.
You might not be able to come back to the Netherlands for a good while, I think most flights to Europe are now grounded.
The important thing to to stay healthy.
Best way to do that is by keeping 2 meters distance from any human being, don't fall off your bike, don't get any non corona virus related illnesses.
Looks like you're going to explore Mexico in depth, your Spanish will be flawless by the time you can return.
Ride safe and keep us updated.
Have you got enough money to keep going for another few months?
Thanks, Pat!

Financially, I had planned to be on the road for another year, at least, so I'm very lucky that I'm not bothered if that is in Mexico or further south.

Believe it or not I actually had a phonecall from the Irish Embassy in Mexico City yesterday! How's that for service! (I'd registered with them when I arrived).

Their advice is simply to go home.
Mexico is currently the most relaxed of the Central & South American states but that is expected to change. In other places the borders are shut and various curfews are in place, often militarily enforced. The guy warned of the dangers of being stranded with no way out. He also suggested I think about the availability of local support networks - not something I have much of.

He understood that I was on he road long term, unlike many tourists who would need to return by X date.

From a purely selfish point of view I could stay put and wait (and hope) that all this blows over.
But.... I also have to think of a bigger picture - if I fall ill I'll be adding to the burden of a country's health system at exactly the wrong time. (Not pleasant for me, either). He also told me that he expects turmoil for the next several months.

Also, a foreigner may not be quite as welcome as before.

The updates from the Australian Embassy are excellent, although each day they add to a sinking feeling. More restrictions on top of restrictions.

Everything is pointing to a premature end to this trip.
However, if I stop now I know I'll never get the chance again.
Also, home....where exactly is home? Getting a flight back to Europe will probably leave me stranded in whatever country I arrive in! I'm lucky in that I've good friends in several countries that will help out.

Looking online I've seen other bike tourists, some on the road much longer than me, stopping & going home.

Various options open to me are:

Hunker down and outlast this as best I can - but what will the conditions be for touring when things open up again?

Pack up, go back to Europe & hunker down over there.

Store bike & gear here until sometime I can return and complete the trip. But when? And again, what will conditions be like?

As the title of my travelogue indicates.... If you want to give the man (or woman) upstairs a laugh - just tell them your plans😀

I know my issues are tiny in the face of all that's going on. I'm bloody lucky to have the dilemma in front of me. I got to set off in my great, big adventure and this is all part of that. Thanks for following along!

Happy to learn that your plans financially were so longterm hobbes.
Take care whatever you do.
If you do continue i think i'd be inclined to not ride every day.
Be super careful on the roads.
Very impressed by the irish embassy by the way.
I've had a few dealings with Irish Embassies over the years and have found them to be unfailingly excellent and highly professional. Oftentimes they have to deal with some of the worst situations and I have always found them to be empathic and extremely helpful. It's the main reason that I place such a heavy weight on their advice.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@HobbesOnTour I feel relative safety at the moment is being isolated as much as you can.
You're in the ideal position to do that.
I think (purely from my position here, of course) that you should stay in Mexico, try to find a friendly, remote village where you can weather this out.
Ok, you could get sick, but it's the same here, we are really just hoping for the best, taking precautions, there's no guarantee of success lol
Depending on how the situation develops, you can, in a couple of months decide if to carry on touring or heading back to Europe.
Practice your Spanish a lot, a good grasp of the language will help immensely whatever comes next.
When the pandemic is over, I'll come visit you in the Netherlands or in Ireland, with my bike ^_^

Top Bottom