Chat Zone for The Big Big Trip Journal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I started following your thread about a week after you arrived in Norfolk, I don't remember the exact date, I just remember I read all the older posts in one sitting to catch up.

Yesterday was my one year anniversary ... on CycleChat. I signed up to make my first post asking when you were leaving Austin!

Thanks for all the great reads and thanks to CycleChat for the platform!

Willie
Thanks Willie!^_^
I do hope you look around the other fora on here. In my experience online, Cycle chat is by far the friendliest.

I was thinking about leaving Austin over the weekend. The weather turned wet and it was pretty miserable.
A little fella came up to offer me some money outside a filling station/store, thinking that I was homeless. That'll brighten up any wet day!^_^

It's been so long since I actually made a cycling post I'm starting to feel like a fraud😊.

I hope Kathy is doing well and still enjoying my ramblings. Thanks very much for following along and participating on this thread. It's appreciated.

cwskas

Über Member
Hooray for the extension till January! So nice to see the flowers in the photos, not much color around here these days.

It's not a Christmas tree, but it is a special tree!

Happy Christmas to you all and many, many thanks for all the contributions on this thread. They're all very much appreciated.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Fabulous as always. Can you please write all your adventures in a book with photos! You inspire many I'm sure.

Fabulous as always. Can you please write all your adventures in a book with photos! You inspire many I'm sure.
Good to see a lurker joining the conversation!

Not a hope of this turning into a book! ^_^

They say we all have at least one book in us and this isn't mine!^_^

There's quite a few journals that have been turned into books and frankly, they are never as good as the "live" versions in my opinion.

Thanks for the compliment, though😊

cwskas

Über Member

One of my favorite photos yet! I could spend so much time looking at this ... I bet the proprietor has many tales to tell as well.

Willie

netman

Veteran
I was inspired to find out a little about Francisco Sosa Escalante after reading...

Couldn't find much, but it is interesting... https://translate.google.com/transl.../Francisco_Sosa_Escalante&prev=search&pto=aue (translation may be a bit dodgy in places!)

Sounds like he would appreciate the street named after him:

"You were the beautiful tree, on whose green branch
The bird, already tired, calmly rested,
And had with your shadow the only happiness that it loves,
Singing its illusions, its sorrows and its love."

I was inspired to find out a little about Francisco Sosa Escalante after reading...

Couldn't find much, but it is interesting... https://translate.google.com/transl.../Francisco_Sosa_Escalante&prev=search&pto=aue (translation may be a bit dodgy in places!)

Sounds like he would appreciate the street named after him:

"You were the beautiful tree, on whose green branch
The bird, already tired, calmly rested,
And had with your shadow the only happiness that it loves,
Singing its illusions, its sorrows and its love."
Well, that showed me up!^_^

That poem is pretty darn accurate!
I'll have to redouble my efforts to be able to enjoy it in its original form!

Thanks for doing the reading and sharing!

How true!

At some stage, I think you would enjoy this book.
The Land of Lost Borders is a fabulous book!
Thank you for prodding me a couple of times^_^
It's not a typical travelogue type book so I think would be interesting to anyone who has any grá all for a bit of travel or adventure, not necessarily in that part of the world.
The author is well equipped to explore those regions, highly intelligent, well read and a very accomplished cyclist, but the narrative flows along, bouncing lightly around from topic to topic, many not cycling related at all - the cumulative effect I found to be inspirational.

There's a lot of discussion about the advantages of travel by bike and lots of talk of exploration and what it means in the modern world.

One pair of sentences, particularly, struck home.
"But exploration, more than anything, is like falling in love: the experience feels singular, unprecedented and revolutionary, despite the fact that others have been there before. No one can fall in love for you, just as no one can bike the Silk Road for you"

Replace "Silk Road" with a local churchyard, a bridge, a river, the coast or México city, don our "exploring head" and a bike ride becomes something wonderous.

Thanks @Shadow !

View: https://youtu.be/aAf3FTOPSEk

Another book I reread over Christmas was "The Brendan Voyage" by Tim Severin (who died in December). It has nothing to do with bike touring but is full of adventure, camraderie, goodwill and inspiration for trying "the impossible".

Top Bottom