Chat Zone for The Big Big Trip Journal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharlesF

Guru
An illicit read during working hours! And was the Blue House worth interrupting work for? A resounding Yes!

I now have some reading lined up for this evening.

As the unofficial Mexico Travel Ambassador @HobbesOnTour is doing a brilliant job of making me want to know more and see it all in real time.

Another compelling read, thanks!

IaninSheffield

Veteran
The Date Part Two.......
I suspect I'm not alone in feeling that @HobbesOnTour's missives are beginning to take on the flavour of Alistair Cooke's Letter from America ... and that's a wonderful thing. A regular treat, awaited with anticipation, and to be enjoyed in all its deliciousness. I only hope, for @HobbesOnTour's sake, that it doesn't ultimately enjoy the same longevity that Cooke's series eventually established. But while it does, I'll continue to look forward his 'Carta de la Ciudad de México'.

Thanks @IaninSheffield ! That's praise indeed!😊

It wasn't my plan to be dragging one day out so much, but when I sit down to write it up from my notes and pictures it just grows and grows.......

It feels unfair not to make some kind of decent attempt to record and describe what's going on around me. This city deserves that, at the very least.

As for the duration?
I heard of and then made contact with a cyclist who has crossed into Guatemala in the past week. The border is now open again, subject to checks and a clean Covid test.

This leaves me in a bit of a dilemma. Borders can close again (CDMX is on the verge of a shutdown again) and there were enough unpleasant tales back in March/April. And there are a lot of borders in a relatively short distance.
This week was a bit of a rollercoaster with the idea that I can get back on the road, then the realisation that it would be quite different to what I had originally envisaged.

Lots to think about! In any case, I won't be budging until the current (record!) hurricane season is well and truly over which is December.

Yes, @IaninSheffield
That is a sad story, far from unique and not new.
Immediately after the lockdown I started hearing these types of stories. It's a difficult concept for most of us to get our heads around that a lot of people are living day to day. One day without work can undermine a domino, more days and that domino falls, setting off the next one and soon it's like a runaway train - impossible to stop.

Yesterday I took a long walk to a large park in the city. There are hundreds of little carts/wagons selling their goods. When the park was Covid closed these folks had no income. When the park reopened they returned but the people stayed away.
At least now they can make some money.
But they're waiting to see if the Government will shut it again.

Prices for the basics - eggs, milk etc. have risen. That can blow apart domestic budgets.

The people who make their living on the streets have been hard hit. Street entertainers, roadside food, fruit & veg sellers were hammered.

Peru is a prime example - a very early, hard lockdown yet it is, I think, third in per capita deaths - because so many are so poor they couldn't follow the lockdown rules. México is far wealthier and I can see the effect here - I dread to imagine the effect in other places.
Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua are also contending with a particularly nasty hurricane season.

Yet, despite all that, there are daily examples of people helping each other. The government may not be providing much of a safety net but the people are. Maybe I'm being a patronising dick, but there is a communal, shared responsibility on display that is genuinely heartwarming to witness.

cwskas

Über Member
What a magnificent tour we are having with you as our guide! Beautiful photos, thoughtful descriptions. In these times, my sanity & that of my wife greatly benefit by getting a lot (for me) of miles on the trike and looking forward to your next post.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Epic and awesome.

What a magnificent tour we are having with you as our guide! Beautiful photos, thoughtful descriptions. In these times, my sanity & that of my wife greatly benefit by getting a lot (for me) of miles on the trike and looking forward to your next post.
Thanks, Willie. My best to Kathy.
I might start throwing in some Spanish just to make it more challenging ^_^
I do sometimes wonder if I might be suffering some mental effects from this darn pandemic. I do use the word "wonderful" a lot ^_^
I'm just writing what I see and I realise how lucky I am to have the time to observe so much.

Epic and awesome.
And Uncle Sam does not use either word lightly. Along with 'iconic', they have become somewhat belittled by over use and inappropriate use.

Wonderful last post Date, IV. Those stairs are magnificent. As cwskas mentions, your personal and detailed vision of some of these buildings are superb. Most enjoyable and educational to read, far better than any 'guidebook'.

And Uncle Sam does not use either word lightly. Along with 'iconic', they have become somewhat belittled by over use and inappropriate use.

Wonderful last post Date, IV. Those stairs are magnificent. As cwskas mentions, your personal and detailed vision of some of these buildings are superb. Most enjoyable and educational to read, far better than any 'guidebook'.
Thank you! ^_^
I'm not very good at accepting compliments😊
Truth be told, I enjoy the whole process. And it's not like this city doesn't have inspiration!
Google keeps throwing photos at me from this day/week last year and while it's incredibly frustrating, it's easy to recall the details of each day because I've taken the time to absorb them and write them down. I heartily recommend it to everyone!

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Day Whatever, Tuesday, November 24, 2020
The Poem
It's not uncommon for travellers to accumulate mementos of the places through which they've passed. For many, those reminders take the form of captured images, whilst for others it might be knick knacks to adorn their mantel pieces. It's hard to imagine many will have unexpectedly received such a rare and meaningful gift in exchange for a few pesos. And, though your transient friend could hardly have known it, how appropriate for a cycle tourist - so easy to carry and pack!
I truly cannot imagine a better memento of your journey. I think I'd be likely to have that framed when I returned 'home'.

It's not uncommon for travellers to accumulate mementos of the places through which they've passed. For many, those reminders take the form of captured images, whilst for others it might be knick knacks to adorn their mantel pieces. It's hard to imagine many will have unexpectedly received such a rare and meaningful gift in exchange for a few pesos. And, though your transient friend could hardly have known it, how appropriate for a cycle tourist - so easy to carry and pack!
I truly cannot imagine a better memento of your journey. I think I'd be likely to have that framed when I returned 'home'.
Yes indeed! Travelling on a bike is hardly compatible with collecting momentoes! And you've seen pictures of my bike^_^

I did pick up a painted skull around the time of the Día de Muertos. I spent a long time looking around and in the end took a long walk to a man with a stall to buy one. As it turned out, his were papier maché, so light as a feather! The stamps in the passport a sign of how far I've come, the skull evidence of a different journey.

The chap yesterday had no clue about me other than I wasn't from his parish, he just rifled through his poems and picked one out. There are local parks where I'm sure the locals have become used to seeing me, but not the park yesterday.

After I posted last night I had a horrible thought that someone may come on here and say "oh, that's such-and-such a poem from What'sTheirName", but it really doesn't matter. In a city of 12 million, an urban area of 20 million, a language barrier, cultural and racial barriers there's something here that makes all those things insignificant.

You're dead right! That poem is staying with me!

Top Bottom